When it comes to selecting a name for your son, there are unlimited options from which to choose. If you're interested in giving your baby a name the conjures intrigue and mystery, perhaps consider any of these boy names that mean black. From Morris to Bruno and beyond, there are plenty of masculine options. Take a look!
RELATE: Baby Names That Mean Black
- BrunoAlthough it doesn't exactly mean black, Bruno is a boy's name that can mean “dark brown”. It was once used throughout Europe and South America. Now, it is popular thanks to singer Bruno Mars.
- Caliban – Most recognized as the name of the main character from Shakespeare's play The Tempest, Caliban is originally a Romanian boy's name meaning “black”.
- ColeWith a meaning like “swarthy, coal-black”, the name Cole embodies a dark richness. It has English origins and is popularly used in English-speaking countries.
- CorbinMeaning “crow”, Corbin originates from the Latin word “corvus”, a genus of medium- to large-sized birds residing within the family Corvidae. It has been popularized by actors Corbin Blu and Corbin Bernsen.
- Crawford Crawford is a common surname in Scotland, but it sometimes gets used as a boy's name elsewhere in the world. It is of English origin and means “ford where crows gather.”
- Cronan Considered a distant derivative of Conan, Cronan is an Irish boy's name meaning “dark one”.
- Donnelly Although sometimes used for girls, Donnelly is primarily a boy's name. Its origins are Irish, and it means “brave dark one”.
- DonovanA popular boy's name and surname, Donovan is an Irish name meaning “dark”. It was popularized in the 20th century by Scottish singer-songwriter Donovan.
- Dougal Scottish in its origin, the boy's name Dougal means “dark stranger”.
- Doyle – A name of Irish origin, Doyle is both a surname and a boy's given name. It means “black stranger”. The first few seasons of the TV show Angel feature an Irish character named Doyle.
- DuncanScottish in its origin, the name Duncan means “dark warrior” – a perfect fit for a fierce little boy with dark features.
- Farrar English and rooted in occupational work, Farrar – much like the Italian name Ferrari – means “blacksmith”.
- Itzal A creative and intriguing boy's name, Itzal has its roots in Basque. It means “shadow.”
- Jett Jett is the name of a black hard gem-quality hydrocarbon mineral. It also doubles as a boy's name.
- Lonan A less popular Irish name, Lonan means “blackbird”. It is the name of a few early Irish saints.
- Morris An English name meaning “dark-skinned”, Morris is more commonly used as a surname. However, it does call to mind the actor Morris Chestnut.
- Nigel – Nigel is a name popularly used in Britain. Meaning “dark” or “black-haired”, fans of The Wild Thornberrys can appreciate this highly British name.
- Night Quite obvious in its meaning, Night is a name that might make you think of the dark mysteries woven by filmmaker M. Night Shyamalan.
- Orpheus Taken directly from Greek mythology, Orpheus was a poet, prophet, and musician who played the lyre. When his wife Eurydice was killed, Orpheus descended into The Underworld to save her. Appropriately, this names means “the darkness of the night”.
- Pinchas A Hebrew name meaning “dark-skinned”, Pinchas is certainly not popularly used these days. Only violinist-conductor Pinchas Zuckerman brings this boy's name to the forefront.
- Shyam Shyam is a Sanskrit name meaning “dark”, “black”, or even “blue”. It serves as an alternative name for the Hindu God Krishna.
- SmithTaken from the word “blacksmith”, this English name showcases a trade that gets its workers dirty with soot. An extremely common surname in the US, it is also popularly used as a male given name.
- Sullivan – Meaning “dark eyes” in its Irish origins, Sullivan is both a surname and a male given name. Child actor Sullivan Sweeten, who starred with twin brother Sawyer on Everybody Loves Raymond, helped make it popular in the US in the early 2000s.
- Tynan Tynan is a name with Irish origins, and it can mean “dusty” or “dark”. While not too popular, it could serve as a fun alternative to Tyson or Tyler.
- Umbra Umbra is a rather unique name, coming from the Latin term for “shadow”.
Peruse thousands of baby names on MomsWhoThink.com! And follow us on Pinterest for more parenting inspiration!
The image featured at the top of this post is ©iStock.com/Dmitr1ch.