When it comes to selecting a name for your son, there are unlimited options from which to choose. If you're interested in giving your baby a name the conjures intrigue and mystery, perhaps consider any of these boy names that mean black. From Morris to Bruno and beyond, there are plenty of masculine options. Take a look!
RELATE: Baby Names That Mean Black
- Bruno Although it doesn't exactly mean black, Bruno is a boy's name that can mean “dark brown”. It was once used throughout Europe and South America. Now, it is popular thanks to singer Bruno Mars.
- Caliban – Most recognized as the name of the main character from Shakespeare's play The Tempest, Caliban is originally a Romanian boy's name meaning “black”.
- ColeWith a meaning like “swarthy, coal-black”, the name Cole embodies a dark richness. It has English origins and is popularly used in English-speaking countries.
- CorbinMeaning “crow”, Corbin originates from the Latin word “corvus”, a genus of medium- to large-sized birds residing within the family Corvidae. It has been popularized by actors Corbin Blu and Corbin Bernsen.
- Crawford Crawford is a common surname in Scotland, but it sometimes gets used as a boy's name elsewhere in the world. It is of English origin and means “ford where crows gather.”
- Cronan Considered a distant derivative of Conan, Cronan is an Irish boy's name meaning “dark one”.
- Donnelly Although sometimes used for girls, Donnelly is primarily a boy's name. Its origins are Irish, and it means “brave dark one”.
- Donovan A popular boy's name and surname, Donovan is an Irish name meaning “dark”. It was popularized in the 20th century by Scottish singer-songwriter Donovan.
- Dougal Scottish in its origin, the boy's name Dougal means “dark stranger”.
- Doyle – A name of Irish origin, Doyle is both a surname and a boy's given name. It means “black stranger”. The first few seasons of the TV show Angel feature an Irish character named Doyle.
- DuncanScottish in its origin, the name Duncan means “dark warrior” – a perfect fit for a fierce little boy with dark features.
- Farrar English and rooted in occupational work, Farrar – much like the Italian name Ferrari – means “blacksmith”.
- Itzal A creative and intriguing boy's name, Itzal has its roots in Basque. It means “shadow.”
- Jett Jett is the name of a black hard gem-quality hydrocarbon mineral. It also doubles as a boy's name.
- Lonan A less popular Irish name, Lonan means “blackbird”. It is the name of a few early Irish saints.
- Morris An English name meaning “dark-skinned”, Morris is more commonly used as a surname. However, it does call to mind the actor Morris Chestnut.
- Nigel – Nigel is a name popularly used in Britain. Meaning “dark” or “black-haired”, fans of The Wild Thornberrys can appreciate this highly British name.
- Night Quite obvious in its meaning, Night is a name that might make you think of the dark mysteries woven by filmmaker M. Night Shyamalan.
- Orpheus Taken directly from Greek mythology, Orpheus was a poet, prophet, and musician who played the lyre. When his wife Eurydice was killed, Orpheus descended into The Underworld to save her. Appropriately, this names means “the darkness of the night”.
- Pinchas A Hebrew name meaning “dark-skinned”, Pinchas is certainly not popularly used these days. Only violinist-conductor Pinchas Zuckerman brings this boy's name to the forefront.
- Shyam Shyam is a Sanskrit name meaning “dark”, “black”, or even “blue”. It serves as an alternative name for the Hindu God Krishna.
- Smith Taken from the word “blacksmith”, this English name showcases a trade that gets its workers dirty with soot. An extremely common surname in the US, it is also popularly used as a male given name.
- Sullivan – Meaning “dark eyes” in its Irish origins, Sullivan is both a surname and a male given name. Child actor Sullivan Sweeten, who starred with twin brother Sawyer on Everybody Loves Raymond, helped make it popular in the US in the early 2000s.
- Tynan Tynan is a name with Irish origins, and it can mean “dusty” or “dark”. While not too popular, it could serve as a fun alternative to Tyson or Tyler.
- Umbra Umbra is a rather unique name, coming from the Latin term for “shadow”.
Peruse thousands of baby names on MomsWhoThink.com! And follow us on Pinterest for more parenting inspiration!