Duncan is a timeless baby boy’s name of Scottish origin. Duncan means “dark warrior” and has been the name of two Scottish kings. A positively royal name, Duncan has remained popular since 1900.
Meaning of the name Duncan:
Scottish: dark warrior
Origin of the name Duncan:
Duncan is a baby boy’s name of Scottish origin that means “dark warrior”. Duncan has been the name of two Scottish kings including the one that is immortalized in William Shakespeare’s “Macbeth”.
Symbolism of the name Duncan:
Duncan is an important character in William Shakespeare’s “Macbeth”. Duncan is the King of Scotland and the subject of Lord and Lady Macbeth’s murder plot.
Style of the name Duncan:
Gender of the name Duncan:
Duncan is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Duncan:
Number of syllables in the name Duncan:
Emotion evoked from the name Duncan:
Duncan evokes feelings of pride and strength.
Alternative spellings for the name Duncan:
Donnchadh, Duncyn, Dunkan, Dunckan
Nicknames for the name Duncan:
Popularity of the name Duncan:
According to the Social Security Administration, Duncan is a timelessly popular baby boy’s name. Duncan has been in the top 1000 baby names since 1900. Duncan peaked at #537 in 1997.
Related names for the name Duncan:
Great middle names for the name Duncan and their meanings:
- Ewan (born of the yew tree)
- Cormac (charioteer)
- Sullivan (black-eyed one)
- Otto (wealthy)
- Roscoe (deer forest)
- Luther (army people)
- Chester (fortress, walled town)
- Homer (security, pledge)
- Bruce (from the brushwood thicket)
- Gunther (battle warrior)
- Wayne (maker of wagons)
Famous people with the name Duncan:
- Duncan Sheik (American singer)
- Duncan Walker Bannatyne (Scottish entrepreneur and TV personality)
- Duncan Keith (Canadian hockey player)
- Duncan Edwards (English footballer)
- Duncan Cowan Ferguson (Scottish footballer)
Duncan in popular culture:
- King Duncan (literature, “Macbeth” by William Shakespeare)
- Duncan Idaho (literature, Dune series by Frank Herbert)
- Duncan MacLeod (television, Highlander: The Series)
- Duncan (video game, “Dragon Age”)
- Duncan Douglass (television, “Freakazoid”)