Cormac is a rugged name with Irish roots that offers unique meaning and symbolism. While the name has never been a top 1,000 baby name in the United States, we could see it becoming one in the next few years. Because of its association with a particular writer of western novels, it has some cowboy appeal too. It also pairs well with classic middle names that have been making a comeback, like Elijah, Augustus, and Henry.
Meaning of the name Cormac:
Irish: Son of the raven
Origin of the name Cormac:
Cormac is an older Gaelic name that most likely translates to “son of Corb.” “Corb” is a Gaelic word for “raven.”
Symbolism of the name Cormac:
Cormac could symbolize your Gaelic roots or passion for the culture. It could also literally symbolize a raven. The birds are thought to be symbols of everything from intelligence to mystery to death. Because of the name's association with westerns, Cormac also offers a bit of rustic appeal.
Style of the name Cormac:
Gender of the name Cormac:
Cormac is a boy's baby name.
Pronunciation of the name Cormac:
Number of syllables in the name Cormac:
Emotion evoked from the name Cormac:
The baby name Cormac evokes images of someone who is strong and stoic.
Alternative spellings for the name Cormac:
Nicknames for the name Cormac:
Popularity of the name Cormac:
According to the Social Security Administration, Cormac has never been a top 1,000 baby name for boys in the United States.
Related names for the name Cormac:
Great middle names for Cormac and their meanings:
- Charles (free man)
- Elijah (the Lord is my God)
- Henry (ruler of the house)
- David (beloved)
- Augustus (great, magnificent)
- Thomas (twin)
- Edward (wealthy guardian)
- Chase (hunter)
- Andrew (manly)
Famous people with the name Cormac:
- Cormac McCarthy (author)
- Cormac Breslin (politician)
- Cormac Costello (soccer player)
- Cormac Láidir MacCarthy (Irish chieftain)
- Cormac mac Cuilennáin (Irish king and bishop)
Cormacs in popular culture:
- Cormac Praxus (character in the DC Comics universe)
- Cormac McLaggen (character from the “Harry Potter” books and movies)
- Cormac Fitzpatrick (character from the TV show “Veronica Mars”)
- Cormac Limbs (character in the “Cirque du Freak” series of books)