Corey is a longstanding favorite among baby names for boys. Deeply rooted in Celtic tradition, this name also has a notable role in popular culture. Corey Baker was a main character the iconic television show Julia, and Corey Woods is an important character in the movie The Wizard. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning of the name Corey:
Gaelic: Hollow, cauldron
Old Norse: Curly haired
Origin of the name Corey:
Corey derives from the Gaelic word coire (meaning “hollow,” “cauldron,” or “seething pool”). It was a topographical surname that referred to someone who lived near a cavernous landscape. Alternatively, Corey can also derive from the Old Norse name Kóri (interpreted to mean “curly haired”).
Symbolism of the name Corey:
Corey is an Irish Gaelic name that means “cauldron” or “hollow.” It referred to a person who lived near a basin-shaped landscape. Such landscapes served an important purpose in ancient Celtic religion and were often the sites of mass gatherings and rituals. In Irish mythology, cauldron landscapes symbolized rebirth, hearth, wellness, and abundance.
Style of the name Corey:
Gender of the name Corey:
Corey is both a boy's and a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Corey:
Number of syllables in the name Corey:
Emotion evoked from the name Corey:
The name Corey evokes feelings of companionship and charisma.
Alternative spellings for the name Corey:
Nicknames for the name Corey:
Popularity of the name Corey:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Corey was the 525th most popular baby name for boys in 2020.
Related names for the name Corey:
Great middle names for Corey and their meanings:
- Ayden (little fire)
- Benedict (blessed)
- Chandler (candle maker)
- Cruise (brave, fierce, cross, crucifix)
- David (beloved)
- Edgar (wealthy warrior)
- James (supplanter)
- Laramie (grove, canopy, arbor)
- Nathan (gift)
- Truman (trusty man, loyal one)
Famous people with the name Corey:
- Corey James Anderson (cricketer)
- Corey King Beaulieu (guitarist)
- Corey Dwight Benjamin (basketball player)
- Corey Scott Feldman (actor)
- Corey Yasuto Gaines (basketball player)
- Corey Ian Haim (actor)
- Corey Mitchell Hart (singer)
- Corey Allen Pavin (golfer)
- Corey Michael Potter (ice hockey player)
- Corey Todd Taylor (singer)
Corey in popular culture:
- Corey Baker (character in the television show Julia)
- Corey Woods (character in the movie The Wizard)