Charley is a baby name that saw its start as a nickname first. Charley is also a unisex baby name. Keep reading to learn more about the name.
Meaning of the name Charley:
German for “free man”.
Origin of the name Charley:
Charley is a variation of the name “Charlie”, which stems from the given name “Charles”. In turn, “Charles” has Germanic roots. The name stems from the Germanic name “Karl”, which may either come from the German term for ‘man’ or the term “hari” which stands for ‘warrior, army’.
Symbolism of the name Charley:
Although the variation name “Charlie” holds a connection to royalty, Charley has a lighter feel about it. This can symbolize something that is equal parts mature, yet still laidback. The name Charley represents something uncomplicated and free-spirited.
Style of the name Charley:
Gender of the name Charley:
Charley is often used as a gender-neutral name.
Pronunciation of the name Charley:
Number of syllables in the name Charley:
Emotion evoked from the name Charley:
Charley is a name that feels fresh, fun, and simply happy.
Alternative spellings for the name Charley:
Nicknames for the name Charley:
Popularity of the name Charley:
Based on information from the Social Security Administration, Charley has achieved popularity among both baby boys and girls. With boys, the name ranked as high as #103 in 1900. On the girls’ side, Charley reached as high as #489 in 2014.
Related names for the name Charley:
Great middle names for Charley and their meanings:
- Stormy (word name)
- Asia (place-name)
- Jaz (gift from God)
- Rose (flower name)
- Haylie (Hay’s meadow)
- Elizabeth (pledged to God)
- Alice (noble)
- Esme (beloved)
- Silas (wood, forest)
- River (river)
- Miles (soldier or merciful)
- Knox (round hill)
- Jude (praised)
- Ozzy (divine protection)
- Sunny (son)
- Zed (the Lord is just)
Famous people with the name Charley:
- Charley Henley (visual effects artist)
- Charley Patton (American musician)
- Charley Lincoln (American musician)
- Charley Boorman (English TV presenter, actor, travel writer)
- Charley Burley (African American boxer)
- Charley Armey (American football coach, scout, executive)
- Charley Koontz (American actor)
- Charley Jordan (American musician)
Charleys in movies/pop culture:
- Charley Bates (a character in the novel “Oliver Twist”)
- Charley (the character in the play “Death of a Salesman”)
- Charley Shallow (the character in the novel series “Fever Crumb”)
- Charley(a character in the animated children’s series “Mona the Vampire”)
- Charley Appleby (a character in the film “Charley and the Angel”)
- Charley (the character in the children’s book “Charley Skedaddle”)
- Charley (a character in the children’s animated series “Charley and Mimmo”)
- Charley (animated cat in the “Charley Says” cartoon films)