The name Alice is an Old German/French word meaning noble and is normally used as a girl's name. Alice is currently in the top 100 names of the USA and France.
Meaning of the name Alice is:
German: Noble, nobility
Ancient Greek: Truthful one
Origin of the name Alice:
Alice is a form of the Old French name Alis or Alais, short form of Adelais, and a derivation from the Old High German Adalhaidis. Alice became popular in France and England in the 12th century but it was among the most common name in England around the 16th century. It then began to decline in popularity until the 19th century.
Symbolism of the name Alice:
The ancient Greek word Aletheia means truth. That's why Alice means the Truthful One in Ancient Greek.
Style of the name Alice:
Gender of the name Alice:
Alice is primarily a female name, though at the modest height of its usage in 1906, 0.014% of the boys were given the name Alice.
Pronunciation of the name Alice:
Syllables in the name Alice:
Emotion evoked from the name Alice:
The name Alice evokes feelings of cheerfulness, self-expression, power, enthusiasm and often quite emotionalness.
Alternative spellings for the name Alice:
Alis, Alise, Allies, Allis
Nicknames for the name Alice:
Allie, Lissie, Lissa
Popularity of the name Alice:
According to the Social Security Index, in 2020, the number of births with the name Alice was 3,268, which represents 0.187 percent of total female births that year. Alice was most popular in 2017, when 0.203 percent in female births were given the name Alice.
Related names of the name Alice:
Adalheidis, Aliki, Heidi, Alison, KiKi, Ada, Elis
Great middle names for Alice and their meanings:
- Eleanor (Bright, shining one)
- Ivy (Faithfulness)
- Pearl (Gem name; smooth, round bead)
- Primrose (First flower)
- Vivianne (Lively)
- Xandra (Man's defender)
Famous people with the name Alice:
- Alice, Duchess of Gloucester (Royalty)
- Alice Cary (Poet)
- Alice Cooper (male rock musician)
- Alice Eve (English Actor)
- Alice Herz (anti-war protester)
- Alice Tortelli (Italian footballer)
Alices movies/pop culture
- Alice from Alice in Wonderland (1865 novel by Lewis Carroll and 2010 movie)
- Alice Cullen (Ashley Greene's character in the film adaptations of Stephenie Meyer's Twilight novels)
- Alice Nelson (housekeeper from the TV how “The Brady Bunch”)
- Alice Howland (Julianne Moore's character in the film Still Alice)
- Alice Hyatt (Ellen Burstyn character in the film Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore)