Xandra is an attractive baby name for girls. With origins in Greece and Macedonia, Xandra now occurs most commonly in Latin America and the Philippines. It is also a unique name for several members of the European aristocracy. Within popular culture, Xandra is the name of a character in the Doom 2099 series, and Xandra Carrick is the titular protagonist of the Xandra Carrick series. Keep reading to learn more about this name.
Meaning of the name Xandra:
Greek: Defender of men
Origin of the name Xandra:
Xandra originates as a short form of Alexandra (the feminine form of Alexander). The name Alexander is a Latin version of the Greek phrase Ἀλέξανδρος (Alexandros) and means “defender of men.” It derives from the Greek verb ἀλέξω (meaning “to defend” or “to help”) and the Greek term ἀνήρ (meaning “man”).
Symbolism of the name Xandra:
Xandra is a diminutive of Alexandra (meaning “defender of men”). This diminutive frequently occurs in regions once associated with the Spanish Empire (such as Latin America and the Philippines). Alexandra itself is a feminine tribute to Alexander the Great. The symbol of this name is the Macedonian star.
Style of the name Xandra:
Gender of the name Xandra:
Xandra is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Xandra:
Number of syllables in the name Xandra:
Emotion evoked from the name Xandra:
The name Xandra evokes feelings of style and strength.
Alternative spellings for the name Xandra:
Nicknames for the name Xandra:
Popularity of the name Xandra:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Xandra was the 14,968th most popular baby name for girls in 2020.
Related names for the name Xandra:
Great middle names for Xandra and their meanings:
- Amihan (north wind, winter storm, monsoon, bird)
- Aurora (dawn, sunrise, daybreak)
- Bailey (bailiff, enforcer, lawman)
- Bituin (star, heavenly body)
- Cassidy (curly haired, clever)
- Faith (trust, confidence, belief)
- Ines (pure, holy, chaste)
- Itziar (old stone)
- Kelly (bright-haired warrior)
- Lux (light)
- Raquel (little ewe)
- Sampaguita (jasmine flower)
- Therese (late summer, harvest time)
- Ulani (cheerful, happy)
Famous people with the name Xandra:
- Xandra Bell (actress)
- Xandra Ibarra (singer)
- Xandra Nash (chef)
- Xandra Popescu (writer)
- Xandra Rocha (television personality)
- XandraDesirée Emy Margrit von Sachsen (descendant of the Grand Duke William IV of Luxembourg)
- Xandrade Trafford (wife of baronet Sir Dermot Humphrey de Trafford)
- Xandra Velzeboer (short track speed skater)
- Xandra Van Welden (actress)
Xandra in popular culture:
- Xandra (character in the Doom 2099 series)
- Xandra (character in the Legend of the Three Caballeros series)
- Xandra Carrick (protagonist of the Xandra Carrick series by Joshua Graham)