Ali is a unisex baby name of Arabic and English origin. In Arabic Ali means “supreme, exalted, sublime. Ali is also a diminutive of the English names Allison and Alexandra and means “noble” or “defending men”.
Meaning of the name Ali:
Arabic: supreme, exalted, sublime
English: noble, defending men
Origin of the name Ali:
Ali is a unisex baby name of Arabic and English origin. In Arabic Ali is a boy’s name that means “supreme, exalted, sublime”. In English Ali is the diminutive of Allison and Alexandra and means “noble” or “defending men”.
Style of the name Ali:
Gender of the name Ali:
Ali is a name given to both boys and girls.
Pronunciation of the name Ali:
AL-ee (English), ‘A-lee (Arabic), a-LEE (Persian)
Number of syllables in the name Ali:
Emotion evoked from the name Ali:
Ali evokes feelings of wisdom and nobility.
Alternative spellings for the name Ali:
Nicknames for the name Ali:
There are no common nicknames for Ali.
Popularity of the name Ali:
According to the Social Security Administration, Ali is a popular unisex baby name. As a boy’s name Ali has been popular since 1969 and is #322 as of 2020. As a girl’s name Ali was popular between 1985 and 2013, ranking highest at #690 in 1986.
Related names for the name Ali:
Great middle names for the name Ali and their meanings:
Famous people with the name Ali:
- Ali Jones (American rapper)
- Ali Shaheed Muhammad (American rapper)
- Ali Germaine Landry (American model and actress)
- Ali Velshi (Canadian TV journalist)
- Cho Yong-jin aka Ali (South Korean pop singer)
Alis in popular culture:
- Ali Baba (literature, “Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves”)
- Ali G (comedian Sacha Baron Cohen’s character)
- Sherif Ali ibn el Kharish (film, “Lawrence of Arabia”)
- Prince Ali Ababwa (film, “Aladdin”)
- Alison “Ali” DiLaurentis (television, Pretty Little Liars series)