Alison, which is more typically spelled Allison in modern times, has always been a popular baby name option in Scotland and France. It dates back to the Norman War, however, which was centuries ago. Though Alison had a few years on the top 100 and top 200 lists, it is now a top 500 option.
Meaning of the name Alison:
Origin of the name Alison:
Alison was a variation that the Normans in France created of the baby name Alice. This name was originally spelled Aalis in the French language. The name came to the United Kingdom during the Middle Ages, retaining popularity in both countries. Scotland helped to revive the use of this name across the world in the 1900s.
Symbolism of the name Alison:
The baby name Alice retains the same meaning as the baby name Alison. This is because they both originate from the French name Aalis, which also meant “noble.”
Style of the name Alison:
Gender of the name Alison:
Alison is a cute name for baby girls with a variety of spelling options.
Pronunciation of the name Alison:
Number of syllables in the name Alison:
Emotion evoked from the name Alison:
Alison is a wholesome name that feels kind and humble. It has a cute and attractive quality too.
Alternative spellings for the name Alison:
Nicknames for the name Alison:
Popularity of the name Alison:
Alison became a top 1,000 name in America in 1934, reaching the top 200 list in 1971. It became a top 100 name in 1985 at number 97, only lasting on the list until 1986 before going back on the top 200 list until 1998. In 2020, Alison ranks at 436 for girls, with the alternative spelling, Allison, ranking at 80.
Related names for the name Alison:
Great middle names for Alison and their meanings:
- Riley (wood clearing)
- Parker (park keeper)
- Mikayla (who is like God?)
- Kierra (dark, lord)
- Isabel (God is my oath, beautiful)
- Delaney (from the alder grove)
- Brianne (high, exalted, noble)
Famous people with the name Alison:
- Alison Krauss (country music singer)
- Alison Sweeney (actress, “Days of Our Lives”)
- Alison Lohman (actress, “Drag Me to Hell”)
- Alison Hewson (Bono's wife, activist)
- Alison Pill (actress, “Scott Pilgrim vs. the World”)
- Alison Gertz (AIDS activist)
- Alison Larter (actress, “Final Destination”)
Alisons in popular culture:
- Alison DiLaurentis (character from “Pretty Little Liars”)
- Alison Hendrix (character from “Orphan Black”)
- Alison Humphrey (character from “Gossip Girl”)
- Alison Robb (character from “Canterwood Crest” series)
- Alison Bailey (character from “The Affair”)
- Alison Stanhope (character from “Alison's House”)