Charles is a baby name with a royal history. It was used by one of the most famous kings of France, Charlemange, and eventually, by multiple kings of England. The name has lasted throughout the years due to its traditional feel, even now on the top 50 list in America.
Meaning of the name Charles:
French: man, free man
Origin of the name Charles:
Charles originated from the Germanic Karl that meant “man.” Charles the Great, more popularly known as Charlemagne, was a man from first-century France who aided in giving this name the popularity it has now. Many individuals across Europe even came up with variations to the name to mean “king” in their language. The name became popular in the United Kingdom in the 1600s under King Charles 1.
Symbolism of the name Charles:
The baby name Charles means “man” or “free man” because it comes from the Germanic name Karl. This latter name has the same meaning. That means when you hear both the names Charles and Carl, they have the same background.
Style of the name Charles:
Gender of the name Charles:
Charles is a serious and traditional boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Charles:
Number of syllables in the name Charles:
Emotion evoked from the name Charles:
Charles is a serious and traditional name. It has strength and feels well-rounded.
Alternative spellings for the name Charles:
Nicknames for the name Charles:
Popularity of the name Charles:
Charles was a top 10 name from 1900 to 1954. It declined to a top 20 position until 1969, remaining a top 50 name until 1999. Charles stayed on the top 100 list until 2019 at rank 52. In 2020, however, Charles became a top 50 name again at rank 46 for boys.
Related names for the name Charles:
Great middle names for Charles and their meanings:
- Fox (wild dog)
- Vaughn (small)
- Edward (prosperity, fortune, wealth)
- Cornelius (strong-willed, wise)
- Mitchell (big)
- Paul (small, humble)
- Walter (commander of the army)
- Alan (handsome, little rock)
- Austin (great)
Famous people with the name Charles:
- Charles Dickens (novelist)
- Charles Darwin (naturalist)
- Charles de Gaulle (French president)
- Charles Chaplin (actor, “Modern Times”)
- Charles Cabot (Supreme Court judge)
- Charles Dawes (former vice president)
- Charles Schulz (cartoonist, “Peanuts”)
- Charles Mingus (jazz musician)
Charles in popular culture:
- Charles Kelly (character from “It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia”)
- Charles DiLaurentis (character from “Pretty Little Liars”)
- Charles Milverton (character from “Sherlock Holmes”)
- Charles Bingley (character from “Pride and Prejudice”)
- Charles Bass (character from “Gossip Girl”)
- Charles Xavier (Professor X from Marvel comics)
- Charles Bartowski (character from “Chuck”)