Augustus has never been the most popular name in the United States, but it has spent plenty of time on the list of the top 1,000 baby names since 1900. It's a name often associated with great leaders, most notably Caesar Augustus, the first emperor of the Roman Empire. The name inspired a month on the calendar and offers up some pretty strong symbolism, making it a great choice for your baby boy.
Meaning of the name Augustus:
Latin: Great, magnificent
Origin of the name Augustus:
The baby name Augustus is derived from the Latin word “augere.”
Symbolism of the name Augustus:
Augustus was the name of the first emperor of the Roman Empire, and since then, it has been the name of several kings, dukes and American politicians. For this reason, the name symbolizes power and authority.
Style of the name Augustus:
Gender of the name Augustus:
Augustus is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Augustus:
Number of syllables in the name Augustus:
Emotion evoked from the name Augustus:
The baby name Augustus evokes images of someone who is a natural leader.
Alternative spellings for the name Augustus:
Nicknames for the name Augustus:
Popularity of the name Augustus:
From 1900 to 1970, Augustus made the list of the top 1,000 baby names in the United States. It fell off the list for a few decades but came back in 1991. As of 2020, it ranked at number 502, according to the Social Security Administration.
Related names for the name Augustus:
Great middle names for Augustus and their meanings:
- Jude (praised)
- Henry (ruler of the house)
- Edward (wealthy guardian)
- Patrick (noble, patrician)
- John (God is gracious)
- Cash (hollow)
- Drake (dragon or male duck)
- Victor (conqueror)
- Hugo (intellect)
Famous people with the name Augustus:
- Augustus Pugin (architect)
- Augustus Agar (Royal Navy officer in both World Wars)
- Augustus Thomas (playwright)
- Augustus Octavius Bacon (politician)
- Augustus Lukeman (artist)
Augustuses in popular culture:
- Augustus McRae (character from the book and TV show “Lonesome Dove”)
- Augustus Gloop (character from the book “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory”)
- Augustus Rookwood (character from the “Harry Potter” books and movies)
- Augustus Waters (character from the book “The Fault in Our Stars”)
- Augustus Hill (character from the TV show “Oz”)