The baby name Atticus didn't become popular in the United States until 2004, but it's been on the rise ever since. It's known as a classic literary name, but it's also got deep roots in Roman history. It pairs well with classic and new age middle names and has become a popular celebrity baby name over the last decade.
Meaning of the name Atticus:
Latin: From Attica
Origin of the name Atticus:
The baby name Atticus is actually a Roman nickname that means “man of Attica.” In Ancient Greece, Attica was the region that surrounded the city of Athens.
Symbolism of the name Atticus:
There are two famous characters in history named Atticus. One was a Roman citizen named Titus Pomponius Atticus, and the other was the literary character, Atticus Finch. Both were considered wise men who had compassion for others, so the name may symbolize someone with those traits.
Style of the name Atticus:
Gender of the name Atticus:
Atticus is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Atticus:
Number of syllables in the name Atticus:
Emotion evoked from the name Atticus:
The baby name Atticus evokes images of someone who is loyal and a good friend.
Alternative spellings for the name Atticus:
Nicknames for the name Atticus:
Popularity of the name Atticus:
Atticus first made the list of the top 1,000 baby names in the United States in 2004. In 2020, it ranked at number 300, according to the Social Security Administration.
Related names for the name Atticus:
Great middle names for Atticus and their meanings:
- Xavier (bright or new house)
- Finn (fair or white)
- Hugo (mind)
- Thomas (twin)
- Charles (free man)
- Michael (who is like God)
- Everett (brave as a wild boar)
- Fox (animal name)
- Henry (ruler of the house)
Famous people with the name Atticus:
- Atticus Shaffer (actor)
- Atticus Mitchell (actor)
- Atticus Ross (musician)
- Atticus Greene Haygood (president of Emory University)
- Atticus (ancient philosopher)
Atticuses in popular culture:
- Atticus Finch (character in the book “To Kill a Mockingbird”)
- Atticus Aldridge (character on the TV show “Downton Abbey”)
- Atticus Lincoln (character on the TV show “Grey's Anatomy”)
- Atticus Rhodes (character from the “Yu-Gi-Oh! GX” series)
- Atticus Fetch (character from the TV show “Californication”)