Daniel is a Hebrew baby boy’s name meaning “God is my Judge”. Daniel is a classic baby name that has never dropped out of the top 100 names in the US.
Meaning and Origin of the Name Daniel:
Daniel is a boy’s baby name of Hebrew origin. It is composed of the Hebrew words “din” meaning “judge” and “el” meaning “God”.
Symbolism of the Name Daniel:
The Biblical Daniel was a prophet that became known for his ability to interpret the king’s dreams. Many believe that dreams can be windows into the future.
Nicknames for the Name Daniel:
When choosing a name for a baby, it's important to consider the nicknames that go with a given name. Some parents may adore a particular name, but not the nicknames that come with it. Check out some of Daniel's best and most common nicknames:
Style of the Name Daniel:
Gender of the Name Daniel:
Daniel is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the Name Daniel:
DAN-yəl (English), dah-nee-EHL (Hebrew)
Number of Syllables in the Name Daniel:
Two or three, depending on pronunciation
Emotion Evoked From the Name Daniel:
Daniel evokes feelings of humility and hard work.
Alternative Spellings for the Name Daniel:
Danel, Danyel, Danyal
Popularity of the Name Daniel:
According to the Social Security Administration, Daniel is a wildly popular boy’s name that has not left the top 100 since 1900. Daniel stayed in the top 10 almost every year between 1983 and 2010. As of 2022, the name ranks at number 14.
Related Names for the Name Daniel:
Great Middle Names for the Name Daniel and Their Meanings:
- Oliver (olive)
- Joseph (Jehovah increases)
- Joshua (the Lord is my salvation)
- Allan (cheerful)
- Arthur (bear)
- Edward (wealthy guardian)
- Theodore (gift of God)
- Benjamin (son of the right hand)
Famous People with the Name Daniel:
- Daniel Boone (American frontiersman)
- Daniel Handler (American author)
- Daniel Day Lewis (English actor)
- Daniel “Danny” DeVito (American actor)
- Daniel Craig (English actor)
Daniels in Popular Culture:
- Daniel Jackson (film, “Saving Private Ryan”)
- Daniel (video game, “Amnesia: The Dark Descent”)
- Daniel “Danny” Fenton (television, “Danny Phantom”)
- Daniel “Danny” Zuko (film, “Grease”)
- Daniel “Danny” Torrance (literature/film, “The Shining”
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Rob Hainer/Shutterstock.com.