Joseph is wildly popular in a variety of cultures and countries. There are myriad spellings of Joseph depending on the culture, regardless of the spelling the name has been around for a very long time and shows little sign of slowing down in popularity. Keep reading to find out more about this baby name.
Meaning of the name Joseph:
Hebrew: May he add, God shall add
Origin of the name Joseph:
Hebrew. Joseph was portrayed in the Bible as Jacob and Rachels favorite son. Joseph was also the husband of the Virgin Mary which made him the foster father of Jesus. It is also the name of Joseph of Arimathea, a rich man who secretly followed Jesus helping to take his body from the cross to ready it for burial.
Symbolism of the name Joseph:
The name Joseph is prevalent throughout the Bible, with a meaning of “he will add” and “God will add”, the bearer of this name has the expectation of caring for family and community.
Style of the name Joseph:
Gender of the name Joseph:
Male – Joseph is considered a male name.
Pronunciation of the name Joseph:
Syllables in the name Joseph:
Emotion evoked from the name Joseph:
The name Joseph evokes a feeling of responsibility and strength.
Alternative spellings for the name Joseph:
Josef, Joeseph, Jozeph, Josyf, Joseff, Josyph, Jozef
Nicknames for the name Joseph:
Jo, Joe, Joey, Jojo, Joss, Joos, Joz
Popularity of the name Joseph:
According to the Social Security Administration index, baby name Joseph was ranked 26th in 2020. This is its lowest ranking in the last 20 years.
Related names for the name Joseph:
Josef, Giuseppe, Jozef, José, Yossef
Great middle names for Joseph and their meanings:
- Alexander (defender of man)
- Byron (at the byres or barn)
- Daniel (God is my judge)
- Frederick (peaceful ruler)
- Jett (black)
- Pierce (a variant form of Peter)
Famous people with the name Joseph:
- Joseph “Joe” Biden (President of the United States)
- Joseph Louis (American Boxer)
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt (American actor)
- Joseph Campbell (inventor of Campbell's soup)
- Joseph Trohman (lead guitarist for the band Fall Out Boy)
Joseph in movies/pop culture:
- St. Joseph (husband of the Virgin Mary)
- Joseph Quiner (character in the “The Little House” series)
- Joseph “Joey” Tribbiani (character on “Friends”)