Roscoe is a charming, if not rustic, baby name for boys. Roscoe is also a classic surname turned into a trendier given name. Keep reading to learn more about the name.
Meaning of the name Roscoe:
Old Norse for “roebuck; wood, forest”.
Origin of the name Roscoe:
Roscoe originally began as an English surname before being used as a given name. Even then, the name Roscoe came from a place name that was derived from Old Norse words “rá” and “skógr”.
Symbolism of the name Roscoe:
Roscoe can hold a nice connection to the woods and forests. This gives the baby name Roscoe a relation to nature itself as well as life, having the name act as a breath of fresh air.
Style of the name Roscoe:
Gender of the name Roscoe:
The baby name Roscoe is typically used for boys, although some parents choose it as a fashionable and current name for girls.
Pronunciation of the name Roscoe:
Number of syllables in the name Roscoe:
Emotion evoked from the name Roscoe:
Roscoe is a lively baby name option that feels edgy and exciting.
Alternative spellings for the name Roscoe:
Nicknames for the name Roscoe:
Popularity of the name Roscoe:
Based on information from the Social Security Administration, Roscoe spent numerous years on the top 1000 baby names list before peaking in the late 1970s. In 1901, Roscoe landed as high as #171.
Related names for the name Roscoe:
Great middle names for Roscoe and their meanings:
- Monroe (mouth of the Roe river)
- Marcel (little warrior)
- Korin (spear)
- Clarence (bright)
- Ericson (son of the eternal ruler)
- Kameron (crooked nose)
- Crispin (curly-haired)
- Jayden (thankful)
Famous people with the name Roscoe:
- Roscoe Beck (American record producer, bass guitarist)
- Roscoe Born (American actor)
- Roscoe Mitchell (African-American educator, composer, jazz instrumentalist)
- Roscoe Pondexter (American basketball player)
- Roscoe Dash (stage name for American rapper Jeffery Johnson Jr.)
- Roscoe (stage name of American rapper David Brown)
- Roscoe Karns (American actor)
- Roscoe “Fatty” Arbuckle (American silent film actor)
Roscoes in movies/pop culture:
- Roscoe (a character from the British show “Shameless”)
- Roscoe (a character from “The Killing Floor” novel by Lee Child)
- Roscoe (the character in the American animated movie “Oliver & Company”)