If you're looking for a cute one-syllable moniker for your baby boy, you can't go wrong with Grant, a name that has represented everyone from star athletes to handsome actors and even a president. It's a popular surname and given name that hasn't fallen out of style in well over a century. It's versatile. Grant pairs well with almost any multi-syllable middle name, and it has both old-fashioned and modern appeal.
Meaning of the name Grant:
Latin: Grand, large
English: Great, tall
Scottish: Big, tall
Origin of the name Grant:
The name Grant is thought of as an English and Scottish name that was derived from the Latin word “grandis,” which means “grand” or “large.”
Symbolism of the name Grant:
Grant often represents a person who is physically tall or has a larger-than-life personality.
Style of the name Grant:
Gender of the name Grant:
Grant is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Grant:
Number of syllables in the name Grant:
Emotion evoked from the name Grant:
Grant evokes the image of a person who is cool and laid back and possibly athletic.
Alternative spellings for the name Grant:
Nicknames for the name Grant:
Popularity of the name Grant:
The baby name Grant has been pretty popular throughout the 20th and 21st centuries. As of 2020, it was ranked at number 213, according to the Social Security Administration.
Related names for the name Grant:
Great middle names for Grant and their meanings:
- Michael (who is like God)
- Alexander (protector of men)
- Elliot (Lord is my God)
- Owen (young warrior, noble)
- Samuel (heard God)
- Benjamin (son of the right hand)
- Donovan (brown-haired man)
- Douglas (black river)
Famous people with the name Grant:
- Grant Gustin (actor and singer)
- Grant Wood (painter)
- Grant Williams (basketball player)
- Grant Hill (basketball player)
- Grant Goodeve (actor)
Grants in popular culture:
- Grant Mitchell (character on the TV show “EastEnders”)
- Grant Wilson (Character in the movie “Backstabbed”)
- Grant Ward (character on the TV show “Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.”)
- Grant McLaren (character on the TV show “Travelers”)