Many people think of Clark as a surname, but it's been used as a given name in the United States since the late 1800s. Its popularity is on the rise. Thanks to the hunky movie star Clark Gable and Superman's alter ego Clark Kent, the name has often been associated with handsome, masculine men throughout pop culture history. If you're looking for a strong one-syllable baby name for your little boy, you can't go wrong with Clark.
Meaning of the name Clark:
English: Clerk, scribe
Origin of the name Clark:
Clark is derived from the Anglo-Saxon word “clerc,” which was an occupational name that literally meant “clerk” or “scribe.”
Symbolism of the name Clark:
During the Middle Ages, the ability to read and write wasn't common. Clerks were typically scholars or religious men who had been educated, so the name is often associated with literacy.
Style of the name Clark:
Gender of the name Clark:
Clark is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Clark:
Number of syllables in the name Clark:
Emotion evoked from the name Clark:
Clark evokes the image of a man who is wise, handsome and strong.
Alternative spellings for the name Clark:
Nicknames for the name Clark:
Popularity of the name Clark:
Clark has remained on the list of the top 1,000 baby names in the United States for well over a century, according to the Social Security Administration. In 2020, the name ranked at number 390.
Related names for the name Clark:
Great middle names for Clark and their meanings:
- Thomas (twin)
- Edward (wealthy guard)
- Everett (strong as a wild boar)
- Maxwell (great stream)
- Xavier (bright, new house)
- Alexander(protector of men)
- Spencer (steward)
- Henry (ruler of the house)
Famous people with the name Clark:
- Clark Gable (actor)
- Clark Datchler (singer)
- Clark Griffith (baseball player)
- Clark Gregg (actor)
- Clark Kellogg (basketball player)
- Clark Howard (radio host)
Clarks in popular culture:
- Clark Kent (alter ego of Superman and DC Comics character)
- Clark Griswold (character on the “National Lampoon Vacation” movies)
- Clark “Mouth” Devereaux (character in the movie “The Goonies”)
- Clark Wilkins (character on the TV show “Pretty Little Liars”)
- Clark Thompson (character in the book “Station Eleven”)