Clay is a baby name that feels rugged and strong. That strength makes sense, however, as Clay was a surname in England associated with clay workers. Though once a top 300 name, Clay has descended to a top 700 placement as of 2020.
Meaning of the name Clay:
English: clay worker
Origin of the name Clay:
Clay originated as an English surname. These families with this last name typically worked with clay or lived near places primarily using clay. Some individuals even suggest that Clay could be a shortened version of the baby name Clayon, which means the same.
Symbolism of the name Clay:
Clay means “clay worker” as the last name was originally intended for individuals working in this industry. If Clay is a shortened form of Clayton, it would mean the same thing.
Style of the name Clay:
Gender of the name Clay:
Clay is a strong and almost rugged baby name for boys.
Pronunciation of the name Clay:
Number of syllables in the name Clay:
Emotion evoked from the name Clay:
Clay feels strong and powerful. It has a bit of a country tone to it, making it rugged.
Alternative spellings for the name Clay:
Nicknames for the name Clay:
Popularity of the name Clay:
Clay was at its most popular when it was a top 300 name option from the years 1958 to 1962. The name was even rank 259, the highest it has ever been, in 1961. As of 2020, Clay is a top 700 name at rank 644 for boys.
Related names for the name Clay:
Great middle names for Clay and their meanings:
- Alexander (defender of men)
- Everett (wild boar, strong)
- Dallas (meadow dwelling)
- Fletcher (maker of arrows)
- Jonathan (God has given)
- Nathaniel (given by God)
- Anthony (priceless one, highly praiseworthy)
- Aiken (little Adam)
Famous people with the name Clay:
- Clay Aiken (American Idol contestant)
- Clay Buchholz (MLB player)
- Clay Greenbush (actor, “Crash Drive”)
- Clay Honeycutt (reality TV star, “Big Brother”)
- Clay Hart (singer from “The Lawrence Welk Show”)
- Clay Clement (actor, “Each Dawn I Die”)
Clays in popular culture:
- Clay Bailey (character from “Xiaolin Showdown”)
- Clay Morrow (character from “Sons of Anarchy”)
- Clay Jensen (character from “13 Reasons Why”)
- Clay(character from “Grant Theft Auto: The Lost and Damned” video game)
- Clay (character from “Less Than Zero”)
- Clay (character from “Pokemon” video games)
- Clay Terran (character from “Ace Attorney” video game)