Nathaniel is a name based on Hebrew tradition that was anglicized during the Protestant Reformation. Nathanael was a name found in the New Testament who was one of the twelve disciples. He was one of the first followers of Jesus Christ, which made the name so popular among Protestants during the Reformation. The name continues to be one of the most popularly used baby names, ranking on the top 150 list.
Meaning of the name Nathaniel:
Hebrew: gift of God
Origin of the name Nathaniel:
The baby name Nathaniel is an alternative spelling of the name Nathanael. It is a name that came into formation during the Protestant Reformation in historical England. Nathanael began as a popular name in the New Testament, which is why the name Nathaniel became so popular during the Protestant Reformation.
Symbolism of the name Nathaniel:
Nathaniel comes from the baby name Nathanael that is found in the New Testament. It is a Christian name, which gives it the meaning of “gift of God.” Nathanael was originally spelled as Netan'el, but Nathanael was the English version in the Bible. This name is broken down into “natan” which means “give” and “el” which means God.
Style of the name Nathaniel:
Gender of the name Nathaniel:
The baby name Nathaniel is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Nathaniel:
Number of syllables in the name Nathaniel:
Emotion evoked from the name Nathaniel:
Nathaniel is a classic baby name that feels refined and serious. It is very wholesome and scholarly.
Alternative spellings for the name Nathaniel:
Nicknames for the name Nathaniel:
Popularity of the name Nathaniel:
The name Nathaniel has always been a popular baby name, being on the top 200 list until 1952. The name entered the top 100 list in 1978 at number 94, but it is not back on the top 200 list. In 2020, it ranked at number 126 overall.
Related names for the name Nathaniel:
Great middle names for Nathaniel and their meanings:
- Blake (black, pale, white)
- Clark (scribe, secretary)
- Caleb (faithful, bold, brave)
- Scott (person from Scotland)
- Porter (gatekeeper)
- James (supplanter)
Famous people with the name Nathaniel:
- Nathaniel Hawthorne (novelist, “The Scarlet Letter”)
- Nathaniel Willis (author, “American Scenery”)
- Nathaniel Ruess (lead singer of Fun)
- Nathaniel Hale (rapper, Nate Dog)
- Nathaniel Coles (singer, Nat King Cole)
- Nathaniel Wolff (actor, “Paper Towns”)
- Nathaniel Parker (actor, “The Haunted Mansion”)
Nathaniels in popular culture:
- Nathaniel Archibald (character in “Gossip Girl”)
- Nathaniel Gray (character in “Infernal Devices”)
- Nathaniel Heywood (character in “Legends of Tomorrow”)
- Nathaniel Fisher (character on “Six Feet Under”)
- Nathaniel the Great (main character on “Nate the Great”)
- Nathaniel Basil (character on “Life Unexpected”)