Give your son the gift of comfort throughout his life when you bestow upon him one of these boy names that mean guardian angel. Each of these options is one-of-a-kind and memorable, just like your little boy. Take a look!
- Alexiel Alexiel is a name that means “cherubim” which is a type of angel. Alexiel is unique but has the common nickname, Alex.
- AngeloAngelo is a Latin name that means “angel”. Angelo is popular in Spanish-speaking communities. It is the masculine form of Angela.
- Azrael Azrael is an angel from Jewish and Muslim traditions. The name means “God is my help” but the name has a darker connotation as Azrael is the angel of death. It is sometimes spelled Asrael.
- Camael Camael means “wrath of God” and is the angel of strength and courage. Camael easily shortens to Cam or Cami while still evoking power and stalwartness.
- Castiel Castiel is an angelic name that means “God is my cover”. Castiel became popular due to a fan-favorite character from the television show “Supernatural”.
- Constantine Constantine means “constant, steadfast”. While not an angel from any specific tradition, there are several angels in pop culture that bear the name.
- Daemon Daemon is a type of guardian spirit in ancient Greek mythology. Daemon were usually malevolent spirits, but in some cases, they were seen as the spirits as famous heroes.
- DeangeloDeangelo is an Italian name that means “of the angel”. It is sometimes spelled as D’Angelo.
- DominicDominic is an English name meaning “of the Lord”. Dominic may be related to a type of angels called domains.
- Engelbert Engelbert is a traditional German name that means “bright angel”. This name’s popularity extends back to at least the 13th-century.
- Engelfrid Engelfrid is a German name that means “angel of peace”. It is a more modern-sounding alternative to the traditional Engelbert.
- GabrielGabriel is one of the archangels in Judeo-Christian theology. The name means “God is my strength, hero”. Gabriel is the primary messenger of God, announcing the birth of Jesus to Mary.
- Gandalf Gandalf means “wand elf” in Old Norse. Gandalf is the name of a famous character from J. R. R. Tolkien’s “Lord of the Rings” series. In Tolkien’s mythology, Gandalf was an ainur which is the equivalent of an angel.
- Hanibal Hanibal is an angel from the Ancient Mesopotamian religion. The name means “grace of Baal”. It would be hard to separate this name from the infamous fictional serial killer Hannibal Lector.
- MalachiMalachi is a Hebrew name that means “my messenger” or “my angel”. Malachi can be spelled Malachi, Malachai, Malakai, or Malaki.
- Malak Malak means “angel” in Arabic. It is similar to the Arabic term for king, Malik, lending a royal feel to the name.
- MichaelMichael is the name of one of the archangels in Judeo-Christian theology and means “who is like God?”. Michael is the leader of Heaven’s armies in the Book of Revelation. The feminine form of the name is Michaela.
- Michelangelo Michelangelo is an Italian name that doubles down on the angelic meaning, combining the name Michael with the word angel. Michelangelo is best known as the Italian Renaissance artist responsible for the statue of David as well as the paintings on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.
- NathanielNathaniel is a Hebrew name meaning “God has given”. Nathaniel was an apostle in the Old Testament also known as Bartholomew. Nathaniel can also be spelled Nathanael.
- Raqib Raqib is one of the two guardian angels who sit on a person’s shoulders, recording their good and bad deeds. The name means “overseer”.
- RaphaelRaphael is a Biblical Hebrew archangel name that means “God has healed”. Raphael is sometimes spelled Rafael. It is popular in both Jewish and Latin communities.
- SamuelSamuel is a Biblical name meaning “told by God”. Samuel was a prophet who anointed both David and Saul as kings.
- Uriel Uriel is an Old Testament angel’s name that means “God is my light”. Uriel is traditionally a name given to babies born during Hanukkah.
- Vangelo Vangelo is a Greek name that means “good news”. It derives from the Greek word for angel.
- Zadkiel Zadkiel means “God is my righteousness” and is one of the seven archangels in some traditions. Zadkiel is the angel of mercy. The name may be a variant spelling of Zacharael.
Peruse thousands of baby names on MomsWhoThink.com! And follow us on Pinterest for more parenting inspiration!
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Rina Chypachenko/Shutterstock.com.