Raphael is a powerful and popular baby name for boys. With its distinguished sound, this name resonates perfectly with your future Renaissance man. Stylish for centuries, this name remains fashionable enough to fit into virtually any setting. Raphael is one of four main characters in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and Raphael Ramirez is a lead character on television's In Plain Sight. Keep reading to learn more about this name.
Meaning and Origin of the Name Raphael:
Raphael originates from the Hebrew name Refael. This name derives from the Hebrew expression refā'ēl (meaning “God has healed”). According to Abrahamic tradition, Raphael is one of the archangels. Raphael is the angel of healing. There are a number of ways to spell this name, but Raphael tends to be among the more popular spellings.
Symbolism of the Name Raphael:
Raphael derives from the Hebrew phrase refā'ēl (meaning “God has healed”). First recorded as a given name in 1350 B.C., this name usually served as a tribute to the archangel Raphael. In religious tradition, Raphael was one of three heavenly messengers who visited Abraham, and he is also the healing angel who stirred the waters of Bethesda. Tradition also credits this archangel with helping the shepherd Tobias as well as guiding souls during the Day of Resurrection. Symbols of Raphael include the shepherd's staff and the trumpet.
Nicknames for the Name Raphael:
With a strong name like Raphael, you're going to want a good nickname. There are a number of ways to shorten Raphael, so you'll have no shortage of picks! Take a careful look at this list, and pick the one that feels right for your child:
Style of the Name Raphael:
Gender of the Name Raphael:
Raphael is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the Name Raphael:
Number of Syllables in the Name Raphael:
Emotion Evoked From the Name Raphael:
The name Raphael evokes feelings of accomplishment and artistry.
Alternative Spellings for the Name Raphael:
Popularity of the Name Raphael:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Raphael was the 483rd most popular baby name for boys in 2022.
Related Names for the Name Raphael:
Great Middle Names for Raphael and Their Meanings:
- Allen (handsome, little rock)
- Beckett (stream, brook, beak)
- Ferdinand (brave journey)
- Graham (gravel homestead, grey home)
- Hugh (fiery)
- Matthias (gift of God)
- Maximo (the greatest)
- Solomon (peace)
- Theron (hunter)
- Xavier (new house, castle, splendid)
Famous People with the Name Raphael:
- Raphael Alejandro (actor)
- Raphael José Botti (footballer)
- Raphael De Niro (son of actor Robert De Niro)
- Raphael Marcel Holzdeppe (pole vaulter)
- Raphael “Raph” Koster (game designer)
- Raphael Matos (race car driver)
- Raphael Sanzio da Urbino (Renaissance painter)
- Raphael Semmes (naval officer)
- Raphael Gamaliel Warnock (politician)
- Raphael “Raffi” Williams (son of journalist Juan Williams)
Raphael in Popular Culture:
- Raphael (one of four main characters in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles)
- Raphael Kirsten (character in the video game Fire Emblem: Three Houses)
- Raphael Ramirez (character on the television show In Plain Sight)
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Onjira Leibe/Shutterstock.com.