Randall has been one of the top names for baby boys for centuries, and in 2018, it finally fell off the list of the top 1,000 in the United States. The name has a cool meaning, and it's associated with many people in pop culture, from athletes to actors. Pair it with a more modern middle name, like Liam or Mason, to make it current.
Meaning of the name Randall:
English: Shield of the wolf
Origin of the name Randall:
Randall was most likely derived from the English name Randolf, and it was quite popular during the Middle Ages. It's derived from the Germanic words “rand,” which means “shield,” and “úlfr,” which means “wolf.” It's also been a common surname since the Middle Ages.
Symbolism of the name Randall:
Because of its meaning, many people may see the baby name Randall as a symbol of a wolf. The wolf offers plenty of symbolism in different cultures and religions, including protection, loyalty, freedom, family, wildness, teamwork, and playfulness.
Style of the name Randall:
Gender of the name Randall:
Randall is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Randall:
Number of syllables in the name Randall:
Emotion evoked from the name Randall:
The baby name Randall evokes images of someone who is mature and responsible.
Alternative spellings for the name Randall:
Nicknames for the name Randall:
Popularity of the name Randall:
According to the Social Security Administration, Randall was a top 1,000 baby name for boys in the United States up until 2018 when it last ranked at number 996. It was most popular in 1955 when it ranked at number 53.
Related names for the name Randall:
Great middle names for Randall and their meanings:
- Liam (protector)
- William (strong-willed warrior)
- Alexander (defender of men)
- Benjamin (son of the right hand)
- Mason (one who works with stone)
- John (graced by God)
- Aiden (little fire)
- George (farmer)
- Tyler (tile maker)
Famous people with the name Randall:
- Randall Cobb (football player)
- Randall Bal (swimmer)
- Randall Cunningham (football player)
- Randall Einhorn (producer, director)
- Randall Franks (actor, author, and bluegrass singer)
- Randall Jarrell (poet)
Randalls in popular culture:
- Randall “Randy” Taylor (character from the TV show “Home Improvement”)
- Randall(character in the “Dark Tower” book series by Stephen King)
- Randall Boggs (character in the “Monsters, Inc.” movies)
- Randall Winston (character on the TV show “Spin City”)
- Randall Weems (character from the cartoon “Recess”)