Nate is a beloved baby name for boys. Crisp and concise, this name has a commanding tone that makes it a hit among everyone from athletes to artists. The name's universal appeal also makes it successful in popular culture. Nate Heywood is the name of the popular detective in the DC Comics universe, Nate Fitzwilliam Archibald is the main male character in the Gossip Girl, and Nate Gray is a lead character in Disney's Camp Rock. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning of the name Nate:
Hebrew: Gift of God
Origin of the name Nate:
Nate is the classic short form of names like Nathaniel and Nathan. Nathaniel derives from the Hebrew name Nĕthan'ēl (meaning “gift of God”). Similarly, Nathan derives from the Hebrew name Nāthān (meaning “gift”).
Symbolism of the name Nate:
Nate is the diminutive of the name Nathaniel (meaning “gift of God”) or the name Nathan (meaning “gift”). According to the Bible, Nathaniel was a New Testament disciple whom Jesus called a “true Israelite.” His symbol is the fig tree under which he professed his faith.
Style of the name Nate:
Gender of the name Nate:
Nate is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Nate:
Number of syllables in the name Nate:
Emotion evoked from the name Nate:
The name Nate evokes feelings of blessing and bounty.
Alternative spellings for the name Nate:
Nicknames for the name Nate:
Popularity of the name Nate:
Nate is the short form of Nathaniel or Nathan. According to the Social Security Administration index, Nathaniel was the 126th most popular baby name for boys in 2020, and Nathan was the 55th most popular baby name for boys in 2020.
Related names for the name Nate:
Great middle names for Nate and their meanings:
- Armand (army man)
- Bartholomew (son of the farmer, rich in land)
- Godric (God's ruler)
- Grant (tall, big, great)
- Joel (the Lord is God)
- Kane (little warrior, golden, man)
- Marcus (devoted to Mars)
- Reginald (king)
- Timothy (honoring God)
- Todd (fox)
Famous people with the name Nate:
- Nate “Tiny” Archibald (basketball player)
- Nate Jay Berkus (interior designer)
- Nate Donald Diaz (mixed martial artist)
- Nate Samuel Freiman (baseball player)
- Nate Mooney (actor)
- Nate Bernard Odomes (football player)
- Nate Eric Richert (actor)
- Nate Joseph Ruess (singer)
- Nate Silver (statistician)
- Nate Clifford Walcott (composer)
Nate in popular culture:
- Nate Fitzwilliam Archibald (main male character in the Gossip Girl series)
- Nate Gray (character in Disney's Camp Rock)
- NateGreat (protagonist of the eponymous children's book series by Marjorie Weinman Sharmat)
- Nate Heywood (detective in the DC Comics universe)
- Nate St. Germain (character in Pretty Little Liars)