The baby name Marcus has strong Roman roots. It was the name of several Roman emperors and dignitaries, and it's most likely a derivative of Mars who was the Roman god of war. It has remained within the top 500 names for boys in the United States since at least 1900, and it even entered the top 100 for a few decades. Marcus sounds a bit more mature than names like Mark or Marco that were likely derived from it.
Meaning of the name Marcus:
Roman: God of war
Latin: Virile male
Origin of the name Marcus:
Marcus is such an ancient name that there is some dispute over its origins. Many people believe it's a derivation of Mars, the Roman god of war. Others believe it's a derivation of the Latin word “mas,” which means virile male.
Symbolism of the name Marcus:
Because the name Marcus is so frequently associated with the Roman god Mars, it is thought to be symbolic of warriors or brave and strong men. Mars was also the guardian of Roman agricultural practices, so it could also symbolize farming or providing food.
Style of the name Marcus:
Gender of the name Marcus:
Marcus is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Marcus:
Number of syllables in the name Marcus:
Emotion evoked from the name Marcus:
The baby name Marcus evokes images of a strong, brave leader.
Alternative spellings for the name Marcus:
Nicknames for the name Marcus:
Popularity of the name Marcus:
According to the Social Security Administration, Marcus has been a top 1,000 baby name since at least 1900. It even broke into the top 100 during the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s. As of 2020, it ranks at number 227.
Related names for the name Marcus:
Great middle names for Marcus and their meanings:
- Henry (ruler of the house)
- James (supplanter)
- Christian (follower of Christ)
- Edward (wealthy guardian)
- Jude (praised)
- Andrew (strong and manly)
- Everett (brave as a wild boar)
- Oliver (olive tree)
- Cash (hollow)
Famous people with the name Marcus:
- Marcus Mumford (musician)
- Marcus Miller (musician)
- Marcus Brigstocke (comedian)
- Marcus Jansen (artist)
- Marcus Allen (football player)
Marcuses in popular culture:
- Marcus Welby (character on the TV show “Marcus Welby, MD”)
- Marcus (character from the “Twilight” franchise)
- Marcus(character from the book and TV show “13 Reasons Why”)
- Marcus Johnson (Marvel Comics character)
- Marcus Flint (character from the “Harry Potter” franchise)