Mark is a Latin boy’s name that means “warlike”. Mark has many variants in different languages but it remains the most common version of the name in the US.
Meaning of the name Mark:
Origin of the name Mark:
Mark is a Latin name that means “warlike”. Mark is related to the name Marcus and Marco.
Symbolism of the name Mark:
Mark is related to the Roman god of wars Mars. Mars is symbolized by the spear, shield, and bow and arrows. Mars is also the god of battle and men.
Style of the name Mark:
Gender of the name Mark:
Mark is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Mark:
MAHRK (English, Dutch), MARK (Russian)
Number of syllables in the name Mark:
Emotion evoked from the name Mark:
Mark evokes feelings of passion and strength.
Alternative spellings for the name Mark:
Nicknames for the name Mark:
Popularity of the name Mark:
According to the Social Security Administration, Mark is a very popular boy’s baby name that has been in the top 1000 names since 1900. Mark was at peak popularity between 1955 and 1970 when it was in the top 10 names.
Related names for the name Mark:
Great middle names for the name Mark and their meanings:
- Atlas (bearer of the heavens)
- Hugo (mind, intellect)
- Kieran (little dark one)
- Julian (youthful or sky father)
- Liam (resolute protection)
- Lucas (man from Lucania)
- Tobias (God is good)
- Emrys (immortal)
- Evander (bow warrior; strong man)
- Xavier (new house)
- Calvin (bald, hairless)
- Benjamin (son of the right hand)
Famous people with the name Mark:
- Mark Twain (American novelist)
- Mark Feehily (Irish singer)
- Mark Elliot Zuckerberg (American entrepreneur)
- Mark Indelicato (American actor)
- Mark Williams (English actor)
Marks in popular culture:
- Dr. Mark Sloan (television, “Grey's Anatomy”)
- Mark Healy (television, “Roseanne”)
- Mark Evans (film, “The Good Son”)
- Mark Darcy (film, “Bridget Jones's Diary”)
- Mark Mardon (television, “The Flash”)