Evander is a highly esteemed baby name for boys. Originating in the heart of the classical era, the name has continued to make an impact on popular culture. Evander Mac is an ensemble character in What to Expect When You're Expecting, and Evander of Traycus was a favorite character on Hercules: The Legendary Journeys. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning of the name Evander:
Greek: Good man, strong man
Scottish: Archer, bowman, yew warrior
Origin of the name Evander:
Evander is the English version of the Latin name Evandrus. The Latin form derived from the Greek name Εὔανδρος (meaning “good man”). It derived from the Greek elements εὖ (meaning “good”) and ἀνήρ (meaning “man”). Alternatively, Evander is also the anglicized version of the Gaelic name Iomhar. This name is the Scottish version of the Old Norse name Ívarr. The name derived from the elements yr (meaning “yew” or bow”) and arr (meaning “archer” or “warrior”).
Symbolism of the name Evander:
Evander is the English version of the Greek name Εὔανδρος (meaning “good man”). In Roman mythology, Evander was the name of a cultural icon believed to have brought the Greek pantheon, laws, architecture, and alphabet to Italy. Ancient Romans venerated Evander for enriching Italian culture. Symbols of Evander included the white horse and the scroll.
Style of the name Evander:
Gender of the name Evander:
Evander is a boy's baby name.
Pronunciation of the name Evander:
Number of syllables in the name Evander:
Emotion evoked from the name Evander:
The name Evander evokes feelings of encouragement and uplift.
Alternative spellings for the name Evander:
Nicknames for the name Evander:
Popularity of the name Evander:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Evander was the 1,038th most popular baby name for boys in 2020.
Related names for the name Evander:
Great middle names for Evander and their meanings:
- Alaric (ruler of all)
- Ambrose (immortal, everlasting, eternal)
- Cyrus (sun, young, lord)
- David (beloved)
- Ephraim (fruitful, fertile, productive)
- Locke (fortified place, enclosure, locksmith)
- Niles (champion, cloud)
- Owen (noble, youthful, well-born)
- Peregrine (traveler, sojourner, pilgrim)
- Rhett (advice, counsel)
- Wells (spring, stream, water)
Famous people with the name Evander:
- Evander Brown (actor)
- Evander da Silva Ferreira (footballer)
- Evander Maxwell Gleave (son of singer Elliot John “Example” Gleave)
- Evander Holyfield (boxer)
- Evander “Ziggy” Hood (football player)
- Evander Frank Kane (hockey player)
- Evander Bradley McGilvary (philosophical scholar)
- Evander Montano (actor)
- Evander Berry Wall (socialite)
- Evander Philip Yarangga (footballer)
Evander in popular culture:
- Evander Mac (ensemble character in What to Expect When You're Expecting)
- Evander Talorc (titular protagonist of Evander by Hazel Hunter)
- Evander of Traycus (character on Hercules: The Legendary Journeys)