Cyrus is a simplistic and approachable name in modern times, but during the Persian empire, it was a regal option. The name is most closely associated with Cyrus the Great, for instance. This baby name is rising in popularity again with a placement on the top 400 list in 2020.
Meaning of the Name Cyrus
Cyrus means sun and originates from the Greek name Kyros, which comes from the Persian Kurush. Cyrus was used throughout Greece and Persia, however. It was a popular name among men in authority, including King Cyrus the Great of Persia. The name became popular elsewhere, especially in England, after the Protestant Reformation.
Cyrus means “sun,” which is ironic when so many rulers had the baby name. It actually receives its meaning from the ancient Persian name Kurush.
Nicknames for Cyrus
Cyrus feels mature and very classic. It does have a serious side to it but that just gives you the opportunity to bring in a fun nickname. Below, we've compiled a list of nicknames for you to consider for the Cyrus in your life. But feel free to come up with your own unique nickname!
Cyrus Name Details
Gender: Cyrus is traditionally considered to be a boys name.
Alternative Spelling for Cyrus
Cyrus Name Popularity
The baby name Cyrus only had a few years on the top 400 list in the early twentieth century. It then dipped to even a top 1,000 or 900 baby name throughout the mid and late twentieth centuries. The name has begun to rise in popularity in recent years, however. In 2010, it became a top 500 name again at rank 487. In 2020, it was a top 400 name at rank 369.
Related Names for Cyrus
Great Middle Names for Cyrus and Their Meanings
- Gideon (one who cuts down)
- Ignatius (fiery)
- Leopold (brave people)
- Augustine (to increase)
- Alden (old friend, wise protector)
- Horatio (timekeeper)
- Emmanuel (God is with us)
- Maxfield (Mac's field)
Famous People Named Cyrus
- Cyrus the Great (Persian King)
- Cyrus Vance (Secretary of the State)
- Cyrus Gray (NFL player)
- Cyrus McCormick (inventor)
- Cyrus Villanueva (pop singer)
- Cyrus Kendall (actor, “The Lonely Trail”)
- Cyrus Hungerford (cartoonist)
Cyrus in Popular Culture
- Cyrus Fawcett (character from “Cyrus”)
- Cyrus Foley (character from “Guiding Light”)
- Cyrus Grissom (character from “Con, Air”)
- Cyrus Beene (character from “Scandal”)
- Cyrus Goodman (character from “Andi Mack”)
- Cyrus Rose (character from “Gossip Girl”)
- Cyrus Gold (DC Comics character)