Cyrus is a simplistic and approachable name in modern times, but during the Persian empire, it was a regal option. The name is most closely associated with Cyrus the Great, for instance. This baby name is rising in popularity again with a placement on the top 400 list in 2020.
Meaning of the name Cyrus:
Origin of the name Cyrus:
Cyrus originates from the Greek name Kyros, which comes from the Persian Kurush. Cyrus was used throughout Greece and Persia, however. It was a popular name among men in authority, including King Cyrus the Great of Persia. The name became popular elsewhere, especially in England, after the Protestant Reformation.
Symbolism of the name Cyrus:
Cyrus means “sun,” which is ironic when so many rulers had the baby name. It actually receives its meaning from the ancient Persian name Kurush.
Style of the name Cyrus:
Gender of the name Cyrus:
Cyrus is an ancient baby name for boys.
Pronunciation of the name Cyrus:
Number of syllables in the name Cyrus:
Emotion evoked from the name Cyrus:
Cyrus feels mature and very classic. It does have a serious side to it too.
Alternative spellings for the name Cyrus:
Nicknames for the name Cyrus:
Popularity of the name Cyrus:
The baby name Cyrus only had a few years on the top 400 list in the early twentieth century. It then dipped to even a top 1,000 or 900 baby name throughout the mid and late twentieth centuries. The name has begun to rise in popularity in recent years, however. In 2010, it became a top 500 name again at rank 487. In 2020, it was a top 400 name at rank 369.
Related names for the name Cyrus:
Great middle names for Cyrus and their meanings:
- Gideon (one who cuts down)
- Ignatius (fiery)
- Leopold (brave people)
- Augustine (to increase)
- Alden (old friend, wise protector)
- Horatio (timekeeper)
- Emmanuel (God is with us)
- Maxfield (Mac's field)
Famous people with the name Cyrus:
- Cyrus the Great (Persian King)
- Cyrus Vance (Secretary of the State)
- Cyrus Gray (NFL player)
- Cyrus McCormick (inventor)
- Cyrus Villanueva (pop singer)
- Cyrus Kendall (actor, “The Lonely Trail”)
- Cyrus Hungerford (cartoonist)
Cyrus' in popular culture:
- Cyrus Fawcett (character from “Cyrus”)
- Cyrus Foley (character from “Guiding Light”)
- Cyrus Grissom (character from “Con, Air”)
- Cyrus Beene (character from “Scandal”)
- Cyrus Goodman (character from “Andi Mack”)
- Cyrus Rose (character from “Gossip Girl”)
- Cyrus Gold (DC Comics character)