Gideon is a powerful and prominent baby name for boys. Originating from Old Hebrew and popularized during the Puritan era, Gideon has undergone a major revival to become one of the top baby names of the 21st century. Gideon is the name of a cunning villain in the Marvel Comics universe, and Gideon Cross is the unforgettable protagonist of the Crossfire series. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning of the name Gideon:
Old Hebrew: Feller, hewer, cutter, lumberjack
Origin of the name Gideon:
Gideon derives from the Hebrew word גִּדְעוֹן (meaning “feller,” “hewer,” or “cutter of trees”).
Symbolism of the name Gideon:
Gideon originates from the Hebrew word גִּדְעוֹן (meaning “feller” or “hewer”). In context, the name indicated that a person is a great warrior who could “hew” through armies like a lumberjack. Historically, the most famous bearer of the name was the biblical Gideon. According to the Hebrew Bible, Gideon was a military leader and prophet who helped Israel defeat the Midianites (Judges 6-8). The symbol of Gideon was the two-handled pitcher and torch depicted in Judges 7.
Style of the name Gideon:
Gender of the name Gideon:
Gideon is a boy's baby name.
Pronunciation of the name Gideon:
Number of syllables in the name Gideon:
Emotion evoked from the name Gideon:
The name Gideon evokes feelings of mastery and might.
Alternative spellings for the name Gideon:
Nicknames for the name Gideon:
Popularity of the name Gideon:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Gideon was the 323rd most popular baby name for boys in 2020.
Related names for the name Gideon:
Great middle names for Gideon and their meanings:
- Alvin (elf friend)
- Amos (borne of God, carried by God)
- Asher (blessed, happy)
- Cedric (chieftain, bounty, kindly, loved)
- Bernard (strong, hardy, brave as a bear)
- Felix (lucky, fortunate, happy)
- Ferdinand (courageous traveler, bold voyager)
- Joel (the Lord is God)
- Levi (united, joined in harmony)
- Obadiah (servant of God)
- Thomas (twin)
- Zeke (God will strengthen)
Famous people with the name Gideon:
- Gideon Aroni (actor)
- Gideon Scott Burtka (son of actor Daniel Burtka)
- Gideon Marc Conn (singer)
- GideonForsyth (son of reality television personalities Joy-Anna Duggar and Austin Forsyth)
- Gideon Gardner (politician)
- Gideon Clifford Jeffrey Davidson Haigh (journalist)
- Gideon Babe Ruth Howard (son of actor Arliss Howard)
- Gideon Algernon Mantell (paleontologist)
- Gideon Yago (newscaster)
- Gideon Lee Yu (businessman)
Gideon in popular culture:
- Gideon (villain in the Marvel Comics universe)
- Gideon Cross (male protagonist of the Crossfire series)
- Gideon Oliver Dobbs (protagonist of the Gideon franchise and film)
- Gideon de Villiers (character in the Ruby Red trilogy)