Bernard is a vintage classic baby boy’s name that means “strong or brave as a bear”. Bernard was in the top 100 baby boy names for most of the first half of the 20th century, although it has fallen in popularity since. Bernard is a strong name with a vintage sound that has the potential to return to popularity alongside other early 20th-century classics.
Meaning of the name Bernard:
German: strong or brave as a bear
Origin of the name Bernard:
Bernard is a baby boy’s name of German origin that means “strong or brave as a bear”. It is derived from the Germanic terms “bern” meaning “bear” and “hard” meaning “brave, hardy”.
Symbolism of the name Bernard:
Bears have been important symbols in many cultures and religions around the world. They are symbols of bravery, power, strength, and wisdom.
Style of the name Bernard:
Gender of the name Bernard:
Bernard is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Bernard:
bər-NAHRD (American English), BU-nəd (British English), BEHR-NAR (French), BEHR-nahrt (Dutch), BEHR-nart (Polish, Croatian, Czech)
Number of syllables in the name Bernard:
Emotion evoked from the name Bernard:
Bernard evokes feelings of maturity and strength.
Alternative spellings for the name Bernard:
Berard, Berinhard, Bernhard, Barnard
Nicknames for the name Bernard:
Popularity of the name Bernard:
According to the Social Security Administration, Bernard is a popular baby boy’s name. Bernard was in the top 1000 names from 1900 to 2008. It was in the top 100 from 1900 until 1945 and it peaked at #45 in 1921.
Related names for the name Bernard:
Great middle names for the name Bernard and their meanings:
- Elliot (Jehovah is God)
- Owen (young warrior, well-born)
- Oliver (olive tree)
- Liam (resolute protection)
- Henry (estate ruler)
- Theodore (gift of God)
- Leo (lion)
- James (supplanter)
Famous people with the name Bernard:
- Bernard Cornwell (English novelist)
- Bernard Pyne Grenfell (English Egyptologist)
- Bernard Hill (American actor)
- Bernard Pierce (American football player)
- Bernard Pollard (American football player)
Bernard in popular culture:
- Bernard (film, “The Rescuers”)
- Bernard “Barney” Fife (television, “The Andy Griffith Show”)
- Bernard “Beans” Aranguren (television, “Even Stevens”)
- Bernard (literature, “Last Shot” by Justine Avery)
- Bernard (film, “The Santa Clause”)