Gian is an interesting boy’s name that does not sound like it looks. The name is pronounced like John and means God is gracious.
Meaning and Origin of the Name Gian
It is believed that Gian was originally created in Italy as a derivative of Giovanni. The name means “God is gracious”, giving it strong Christian connotations. Gian is considered the Italian form of the name John. John is a Hebrew name; Gian gets its meaning from this connection.
Symbolism of the Name Gian
Gian is introspective, philosophical, and soul searching. He is also analytical and opinionated. Gian spends time in deep thought with an air of mystery and solitude. He is intuitive and may be very interested in drama, arts, or science. He is also very down-to-earth and grounded. He takes pride in his work and always tries to do the best job he can.
Nicknames for the Name Gian
Gian, as a variant of John, shares quite a few nicknames with it. Some of Gian's nicknames are unique to it, though, so there are options for those who want something common and those who want something rare!
Style of the Name Gian
Gender of the Name Gian
Gian is a boy's baby name.
Pronunciation of the Name Gian
Number of Syllables in the Name Gian
Emotion Evoked From the Name Gian
Gian has a creative drive that seeks expression. He has an urge for variety and self-expression. He is highly communicative and talkative. Gian relates to people of different cultures and concepts because he is quite flexible in his opinions. He also makes steadfast goals in life and then follows them directly without any worry or second thought.
Alternative Spellings for the Name Gian
Popularity of the Name Gian
Gian came on to the popularity charts in 1953. It barely registered through 1964 when it gradually started to rise. Around 2000, the popularity of the name Gian more than doubled. The name finally entered the top 1,000 baby boy names, according to the Social Security Administration, in 2021. In 2022, the name ranked at 921.
Related Names for the Name Gian
Great Middle Names for Gian and Their Meanings
- Vladimir (reowned prince)
- Luca (bringer of light)
- Franco (free man)
- Carlo (free man)
- Alexander (defender of men)
- Marco (warlike)
- Andre (man, warrior)
- Paolo (small)
- Gustavo (royal staff or staff of the gods)
Famous People with the Name Gian
- Gian Paolo Lomazzo (Italian painter)
- Gian Lorenzo Bernini (Italian sculptor)
- Gian Rinaldo Carli (Italian count, economist, and antiquarian)
- Gian Francesco Malipiero (Italian composer)
- Gian Marco Centinaio (Italian politician)
- Gian Pyres (British musician)
- Gian Sammarco (former actor)
- Gian Sotto (Filipino politician)
- Gian Piero Ventura (Italian football manager)
Gians in Popular Culture
- Gian, another name for Giyan, is a city in Iran
- Gian, another name for Takeshi Goda, a character in Doraemon
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Anna Om/Shutterstock.com.