This selection of girl names that mean shadow is filled with a variety of feminine yet mysterious-sounding names. Peruse the options, which include names of Sanskrit, Kurdish, Hebrew, and Irish origins (and beyond!) and marvel at the originality and intrigue each name offers.
RELATED: More Baby Names That Mean Shadow
- Seber Persons born to Kurdish ancestry might name newborn daughters Seber. Though it's principally translated to mean shadow, shade is another accepted meaning. The name is often popular in Middle Eastern nations holding appreciable Kurdish populations.
- Sayagul Sayagul is a Persian girl's moniker. In said tongue, the name is interpreted to mean shadow flower.
- Ombretta Ombretta is a feminine name. In Italian, it means shadow.
- Pangari Those born to the Australian aboriginal peoples might designate infant daughters Pangari. The name translates to shadow.
- Hamutal Hebrew-speaking individuals might name baby girls Hamutal. Though its principle definition is shadow, it also translates to the locution of the morning dew.
- Sayah Girls born to Arabic cultures might be named Sayah. In said tongue, the honorific celebrates shadows. However, shade is also a recognized meaning.
- Scathach This Irish moniker is sometimes bestowed upon newborn girls. In said language, the name relates to the phrase one who stands in the shadows.
- Chhaya This feminine name is rooted in the Hindi dialect. Many parents of Indian descent name infant daughters this name meaning shadow or shade. In addition, the name can be spelled several different ways. Furthermore, it is also widely seen amongst Jewish subjects.
- Mohanjot Mohanjot is an Indian girl's name. Language historians maintain that the moniker means individual who is covered by shadows.
- Obscura The feminine designation holds Latin roots. In said dialect, it means dark or mysterious.
- Rima Said name is often awarded to newborn girls. Its origins are tied to the Arabic language and is often used in India and numerous African nations.
- Nisha This Indian name is often handed down to girls. It is Sanskrit for night. However, shadow is also a recognized meaning.
- Amaris Persons from Hebrew-conversing backgrounds might designate infant daughters Amaris. In said dialect, the name means shadow and additionally translates to the expression child of the moon.
- CiaraThe honorific Ciara traces its roots to the Irish tongue. It means black. One of its more famous possessors is the American pop singer holding the same name.
- LillithThe history surrounding this name dates back to Mesopotamian times. Said cultures knew the moniker to represent a ghost or a shadow of the night. In more recent times, it has gained a following amongst Jewish people. Moreover, its popularity increased dramatically in the wake of hit television series Cheers that featured a character of said name.
- Nerissa Nerissa is a designation rooted in Italian ancestry. It translates to the expression one with black hair.
- ZeldaPersons residing in German-speaking lands might name newborn girls Zelda. In old Germanic dialect, the moniker describes a dark battle. The name has also enjoyed popularity amongst Jewish subjects. Fans of the video game series Legend of Zelda may choose this name.
- SamaraSamara is a feminine name holding both Arabic and Hebrew roots. Language experts maintain that the name means night talk or some similar variation of said phrasing.
- Devany Persons of Irish extraction may designate infant girls Devany. It means dark-haired.
- AdrienneThis name possesses Gothic origins. Language professionals claim that the name roughly translates to the phrase the shadowy lady hailing from the sea.
- DarcyDarcy is a female moniker with links to the French language. It recognizes darkness.
- Lefifi This girl's name rooted in African culture describes darkness. Its exact origins are from the Sesotho dialect.
- Pouri Native New Zealanders might honor newborn daughters with the name Pouri. In the Maori tongue, it recognizes shadows and darkness.
- Tama Subjects of Croatian heritage might choose to name infant baby girls Tama. This moniker celebrates darkness.
- Tari Tari is a common girl's name amongst Kurdish populations. Language experts maintain that it translates to shadowy subjects and darkness.
Struggling to Pick Between Two Names? Read This
If you're going back and forth between two names, we've got some advice to help you decide. Being unable to choose between two names can be a very frustrating experience! Fortunately, there are things you can do to make the process easier.
For starters, try asking people whose opinions you trust what they think of the names. If the overwhelming majority picks one name over the other, that can be a big sign to go with that name. Don't ask too many people for their opinion, as then you'll be inundated with too many opinions to think about! Pick an odd number of people to ask; that way, there's certain to be a majority.
If this strategy doesn't work, think about why you're interested in each name. Perhaps one has a lot of sentimental value to you, while you like the way the other one sounds. Which reason for choosing a name is more important to you? Would you rather your child have a name that means something special to you, or a name that sounds really nice?
Finally, it might be worth it to look at other options. We know, we know. You finally cut your list down to just two, and now you have to go back and look for more? If you're dancing around the same two names for ages, and no strategy is helping you pick, it may be worth considering other options. At least your time will be used productively that way! You might just come across a name you like even more than the other two, or you might have an epiphany during your search that leads you to one name over the other.
Peruse thousands of baby names on MomsWhoThink.com! And follow us on Pinterest for more parenting inspiration!
The image featured at the top of this post is ©iStock.com/https://www.momswhothink.com/wp-content/uploads/Girl-Names-That-Mean-Shadow.jpg.