Andre is a French and Portuguese boy’s name meaning “manly, masculine”. Andre derives from the Greek name Andreas and is a variant of the name Andrew. Andre has remained steadily popular since 1924 when it first appeared on the top 1000 baby names list.
Meaning of the name Andre:
French, Portuguese: manly, masculine
Origin of the name Andre:
Andre is a French and Portuguese name that means “manly, masculine”. Andre is a variant of the name Andrew. Andre is also a variant and sometimes diminutive of the name Andreas.
Symbolism of the name Andre:
Andre is a name meaning strength. Icons associated with strength such as lions, stone, and trees are good symbols for the name Andre.
Style of the name Andre:
Gender of the name Andre:
Andre is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Andre:
AHN-DREH (French), un-DREH (Portuguese), AN-dreh, (German), ahn-DREH (Dutch)
Number of syllables in the name Andre:
Emotion evoked from the name Andre:
Andre evokes feelings of independence and creativity.
Alternative spellings for the name Andre:
Nicknames for the name Andre:
Popularity of the name Andre:
According to the Social Security Administration, Andre is a boy’s baby name that has been popular since the mid 1920’s. Andre remained in the top 200 names between 1961 and 2000 and is #281 as of 2020.
Related names for the name Andre:
Great middle names for the name Andre and their meanings:
- Michael (who is like God?)
- Nicholas (people of victory)
- Jacob (supplanter)
- Joshua (God is my salvation)
- Thomas (twin)
- Edwin (wealthy friend)
- Simon (listener)
- Miles (merciful)
Famous people with the name Andre:
- Andre Benjamin aka Andre 3000 (American rapper)
- Andre Gide (French novelist)
- Andre Breton (French writer , poet)
- Andre Young aka Dr. Dre (American rapper , producer)
- Andre Iguodala (American basketball player)
Andre in popular culture:
- Andre Johnson (television, “Black-ish”)
- Andre Lyon (television, “Empire”)
- Andre Harris (television, “Victorious”)