Andre is a French and Portuguese boy’s name meaning “manly, masculine.” Andre derives from the Greek name Andreas and is a variant of the name Andrew. Andre has remained steadily popular since 1924, when it first appeared on the top 1000 baby names list. Keep reading on to learn more about this boy's name.
Meaning and Origin of the name Andre:
Andre is a French and Portuguese name that means “manly, masculine.” Andre is a variant of the name Andrew. Andre is also a variant and sometimes diminutive of the name Andreas.
Symbolism of the name Andre:
Andre is a name meaning strength. Icons associated with strength, such as lions, stones, and trees, are good symbols for the name Andre.
Nicknames for the name Andre:
Style of the name Andre:
Gender of the name Andre:
Andre is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Andre:
AHN-DREH (French), un-DREH (Portuguese), AN-dreh, (German), ahn-DREH (Dutch)
Number of syllables in the name Andre:
Emotion evoked from the name Andre:
Andre evokes feelings of independence and creativity.
Alternative spellings for the name Andre:
Popularity of the name Andre:
According to the Social Security Administration, Andre is a boy’s baby name that has been popular since the mid-1920s. Andre remained in the top 200 names between 1961 and 2000 and is #281 as of 2020.
Related names for the name Andre:
Great middle names for the name Andre and their meanings:
- Michael (who is like God?)
- Nicholas (people of victory)
- Jacob (supplanter)
- Joshua (God is my salvation)
- Thomas (twin)
- Edwin (wealthy friend)
- Simon (listener)
- Miles (merciful)
Famous people with the name Andre:
- Andre Benjamin aka Andre 3000 (American rapper)
- Andre Gide (French novelist)
- Andre Breton (French writer, poet)
- Andre Young, aka Dr. Dre (American rapper, producer)
- Andre Iguodala (American basketball player)
Andre in popular culture:
- Andre Johnson (television, “Black-ish”)
- Andre Lyon (television, “Empire”)
- Andre Harris (television, “Victorious”)
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Rawpixel.com/Shutterstock.com.