Ray is a perennial favorite among baby names for boys. Unmatched in its simplicity, the name Ray has jazzy overtones that have made an undeniable impact on popular culture. Ray Crisp is a well-known character in the Marvel Comics universe, and Ray “Atom” Palmer is also a popular character in the DC Comics universe. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning of the name Ray:
Old Germanic: Protective advisor, wise counselor, famous protector
Latin: Light beam
Arabic: Watered, luxuriant, plentiful
Origin of the name Ray:
Ray is a given name with several possible origins. Foremost, Ray is the short form of the name Raymond. This name originated from the Old Norman French name Raimund and ultimately derived from the Old Germanic name Raginmund. As a compound name, Ragimund merged the elements ragin (meaning “advisor” or “counsel”) and mund (meaning “protection”). Some researchers also believe that Raymond derived from the related name Hraidmund. The name combined hraid (meaning “fame”) with mund (meaning “protection”).
Alternatively, Ray may originate from the Middle English words raie or raye. These words derive from Old French word rai and ultimately descend from the Latin word radius (meaning “light beam”). Ray is also the short form of the Arabic name (ريان). Also spelled Rayyan, this name means “luxuriant” or “plentiful” in Middle Eastern culture.
Symbolism of the name Ray:
Ray is a diminutive of Raymond (meaning “protective advisor” or Rayyan (meaning “luxuriant”). The name can also derive from the Latin word radius or radii (meaning “light beam”). In classical antiquity, symbols for the radius included the sun ray as well as the spokes of the chariot wheel.
Style of the name Ray:
Gender of the name Ray:
Ray is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Ray:
Number of syllables in the name Ray:
Emotion evoked from the name Ray:
The name Ray evokes feelings of talent and triumph.
Alternative spellings for the name Ray:
Nicknames for the name Ray:
Popularity of the name Ray:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Ray was the 724th most popular baby name for boys in 2020.
Related names for the name Ray:
Great middle names for Ray and their meanings:
- Armano (soldier, warrior, army man)
- Byron (byre, barn, cowshed)
- Cassidy (clever, curly-haired)
- Dominic (belonging to God)
- Duncan (chief)
- Fielder (open country dweller)
- Luther (soldier of the people)
- Maximilian (the greatest)
- Roscoe (roebuck forest)
- Santino (little saint)
- Wells (spring, stream, reservoir)
Famous people with the name Ray:
- Ray Aguilar (senator)
- Ray Mitchell Agnew Jr. (football player)
- Ray Anderson (jazz trombonist)
- Ray Douglas Bradbury (writer)
- Ray Charles (singer)
- Ray Arthur Gosling (social activist)
- Ray Milland (actor)
- Ray Alexander Simons (trade unionist)
- Ray Darryl Tarver (politician)
- Ray Underhill (skateboarder)
Ray in popular culture:
- Ray Crisp (character in the Marvel Comics universe)
- Ray “Atom” Palmer (character in the DC Comics universe)