Because it means “the greatest,” it's no wonder that Maximilian was the name assigned to many members of royalty throughout history, ranging as far back as the Holy Roman Empire to more modern times, like the Second Mexican Empire of the 19th century. There are also several saints with the name. While Maximilian may seem like a big name for a little baby, celebrities like Hugh Jackman and Jennifer Lopez have chosen it for their own sons.
Meaning of the name Maximilian:
Latin: the greatest
Origin of the name Maximilian:
Maximilian became well known in the 1400s when Holy Roman Emperor Frederick III gave the name to his son. He claimed it was a combination of Maximus and Scipio Aemilianus, the names of two respected Roman generals.
Symbolism of the name Maximilian:
Throughout history, the name Maximilian has represented some of the most notorious people in the world, including kings, princes and emperors, as well as well as several Christian saints.
Style of the name Maximilian:
Gender of the name Maximilian:
Maximilian is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Maximilian:
Number of syllables in the name Maximilian:
Emotion evoked from the name Maximilian:
The baby name Maximilian evokes the image of a strong leader, as well emotions like compassion and affection.
Alternative spellings for the name Maximilian:
Nicknames for the name Maximilian:
Popularity of the name Maximilian:
Maximilian has been one of the top 1,000 baby names for boys since 1986, according to the Social Security Administration. As of 2020, it ranked at 491.
Related names for the name Maximilian:
Great middle names for Maximilian and their meanings:
- Alexander (protector of men)
- Henry (ruler of the home)
- Charles (free man)
- George (farmer)
- James (one who follows)
- Luke (the bright one)
- Hugo (intellect)
Famous people with the name Maximilian:
- Maximilian Baer (boxer)
- Maximilian Schell (actor)
- Maximilian Chilton (race car driver)
- Maximilian Ferrari (soccer player)
- Maximilian Dimitrovici (hockey player)
Maximilian in popular culture:
- Maximilian Morrel (character in the book “The Count of Monte Cristo”)
- Maximilian Veers (character in the film “The Empire Strikes Back”)
- MaximilianErnesto Russo (character on the TV show “The Wizards of Waverly Place”)
- Maximilian(cartoon character and the son of the popular Disney character Goofy)
- Maximilian(character in the film “Once Upon a Time in America”)