Max is a familiar name that is direct and to the point. Most people use Max as a shortened form of a name like Maxine or Maximilian, but this baby name can also be used on its own. When used on its own, the name it still currently on the top 200 list.
Meaning of the name Max:
Origin of the name Max:
Max is the shortened form of the traditional Latin name Maximilian or Maxwell in Europe. The name has since been used as a shortened name for females as well, especially those with names like Maxine. Due to the popularity of these shortened names, it has spread as a direct and standout name on its own.
Symbolism of the name Max:
The name Maximilian, which Max was originally short for, was a Latin name created from the Roman name Maximus. This original Roman family was known for being strong and full of bravery. When considering the personality of the family, it makes sense then that the name Maximilian would mean greatest and that Max would adopt this meaning as its own too.
Style of the name Max:
The style of the baby name Max is classical.
Gender of the name Max:
Max is a unisex name when it is a shortened version of a name like Maxine or Maximilian. When used on its own, it is more likely to be used for boys.
Pronunciation of the name Max:
Number of syllables in the name Max:
There is only one syllable in the baby name Max.
Emotion evoked from the name Max:
Max is a baby name that is very direct, especially when used as a stand-alone. It does have some spunk associated with it too, though this spunk is not aggressive or arrogant.
Alternative spellings for the name Max:
Nicknames for the name Max:
Popularity of the name Max:
Max was on the top 100 list for the years 2010 and 2011 at numbers 93 and 96 respectively. Other than these two years, the name has been on the top 200 list since 1987. In the year 2020, it ranked at number 147 overall.
Related names for the name Max:
Great middle names for Max and their meanings:
- Julian (young at heart)
- Edmund (prosperity, riches)
- Theodore (gift of God)
- Rylan (from the rye land)
- Lee (clearing, meadow)
- Rowan (little red-haired one)
- Frederick (peaceful ruler)
Famous people with the name Max:
- Max Verstappen (Formula 1 driver)
- Max Becker (guitarist of SWMRS)
- Max Greenfield (actor, “New Girl”)
- Max Changmin (singer in duo TVXQ)
- Max Lloyd-Jones (actor, “War for the Planet of the Apes”)
- Max Charles (actor, “Mr. Peabody and Sherman”)
- Max Perlich (actor, “Beautiful Girls”)
Maxs in popular culture:
- Max (main character in “Where the Wild Things Are”)
- Max (character in “How the Grinch Stole Christmas”)
- Max Rockatansky (main character in “Mad Max”)
- Max Fischer (main character in “Rushmore”)
- Max (character on “Dragon Tales”)
- Max Evans (character on “Roswell”)
- Max (character in “Pokemon”)