Magnus is a classic baby name undergoing a major modern revival. A popular name among the royalty of Norway and Sweden, Magnus is now a favorite given name for the children of Hollywood celebrities. Magnus Chase is the protagonist of the Magnus Chase series, and Magnus the Sorcerer is a main character in the Marvel Comics universe. Keep reading to learn more about this name.
Meaning of the name Magnus:
Origin of the name Magnus:
Magnus originates from the Late Latin term magnus (meaning “great”).
Symbolism of the name Magnus:
Magnus is the Latin word for “great.” It was the cognomen of Pompey the Great, a leading statesman who helped transform Rome from a republic into an empire. His symbol was the Roman shield.
Style of the name Magnus:
Gender of the name Magnus:
Magnus is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Magnus:
Number of syllables in the name Magnus:
Emotion evoked from the name Magnus:
The name Magnus evokes feelings of magnetism and mystery.
Alternative spellings for the name Magnus:
Nicknames for the name Magnus:
Popularity of the name Magnus:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Magnus was the 805th most popular baby name for boys in 2020.
Related names for the name Magnus:
Great middle names for Magnus and their meanings:
- Aksel (my father is peace)
- Brad (broad clearing)
- Chase (hunter)
- Ingemar (famous lord)
- Julian (youthful, downy)
- Klaus (victory of the people)
- Liam (resolute protector, strong-willed warrior)
- Noah (rest, repose, peace)
- Olaf (descendant of the ancestor)
- Soren (serious, stern)
- Tristan (tumult, outcry)
- Zachary (God has remembered)
Famous people with the name Magnus:
- Magnus Karl Olof Arvedson (ice hockey player)
- Magnus Bäckstedt (road cyclist)
- Magnus Øen Carlsen (chess grandmaster)
- Magnus Cameron Cormack (politician)
- Magnus Jackson Diehl (son of actor John Diehl)
- Magnus Paulin Ferrell (son of actor Will Ferrell)
- Magnus Mitchell Handelman (son of actress Elizabeth Banks)
- Magnus Brostrup Landstad (poet)
- Magnus Gustaf Adolf Lindberg (composer)
- Magnus Alfred Pyke (nutritional scientist)
Magnus in popular culture:
- Magnus Chase (protagonist of the Magnus Chase series)
- Magnus the Sorcerer (character in the Marvel Comics universe)