Zachary is a common and popular boy’s baby name of Hebrew origin. The name means “remembered by God” and belongs to several Biblical figures. Zachary manages to have a traditional feel without being too old fashioned.
Meaning of the name Zachary:
Hebrew: remembered by God
Origin of the name Zachary:
Zachary is an English spelling of the Hebrew name Zachariah and a modern spelling of the name Zacharias.
Symbolism of the name Zachary:
Zachary comes from “zahkar” meaning “remember”. The fragrant herb rosemary is symbolic of memories and thought to help improve one’s memory when ingested.
Style of the name Zachary:
Gender of the name Zachary:
Zachary is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Zachary:
Number of syllables in the name Zachary:
Emotion evoked from the name Zachary:
Zachary evokes feelings of respect and tradition.
Alternative spellings for the name Zachary:
Zackary, Zacary, Zakary, Zakkary
Nicknames for the name Zachary:
Popularity of the name Zachary:
According to the Social Security Administration, Zachary is a popular baby name with staying power. Zachary remained in the top 100 boy’s baby names from 1976 to 2016. It peaked at #12 in 1994.
Related names for the name Zachary:
Great middle names for the name Zachary and their meanings:
- Isaac (laughter)
- James (supplanter)
- Cecil (blind)
- Drake (dragon; or, male duck)
- Gage (oath, pledge)
- Corbin (crow)
- Preston (priest's estate)
- Chase (hunt)
- Brady (broad meadow or large-chested)
- Grayson (the son of the steward)
- Lincoln (town by the pool)
Famous people with the name Zachary:
- Zachary Taylor (12th U.S. president)
- Zachary “Zac” Hanson (American musician of band Hanson)
- Zachary “Zach” Galifianakis (American actor)
- Zachary “Zach” Braff (American actor and director)
- Zachary Scott (American actor)
Zacharys in popular culture:
- Zachary “Zach” Salvatore (television, “The Vampire Diaries”)
- Zachary “Zach” Mitchell (film, Jurassic Park series)
- Zachary “Zack” Morris (television, “Saved by the Bell”)
- Zachary (video games, “OFF”)
- Zachary “Zack” Siler (film “She's All That”)