Jeremy is an English boy’s name that comes from the Hebrew name Jeremiah. Like many traditional English names, Jeremy is a Biblical name with a religious meaning: “appointed by God”.
Meaning of the name Jeremy:
English: appointed by God
Origin of the name Jeremy:
Jeremy is an English baby name that is derived from the Hebrew name Jeremiah. Jeremy means “appointed by God”.
Symbolism of the name Jeremy:
Jeremy is a Biblical name that is most associated with the prophet Jeremiah. Jeremiah was called the “weeping prophet” and is the author of the Books of Kings and Lamentations.
Style of the name Jeremy:
Gender of the name Jeremy:
Jeremy is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Jeremy:
Number of syllables in the name Jeremy:
two or three, depending on pronunciation
Emotion evoked from the name Jeremy:
Jeremy evokes feelings of compassion and inner strength.
Alternative spellings for the name Jeremy:
Nicknames for the name Jeremy:
Popularity of the name Jeremy:
According to the Social Security Administration, Jeremy is a baby boy’s name that first became popular in the US in the early 1940’s. Jeremy was in the top 100 names from 1970 to 2002.
Related names for the name Jeremy:
Great middle names for the name Jeremy and their meanings:
- Joel (Jehovah is his God)
- Warren (park-keeper, rabbit den)
- Spencer (house steward)
- Fletcher (arrow-maker)
- Cormac (charioteer)
- Sullivan (black-eyed one)
- Griffin (strong lord, mythical creature)
- Noel (Christmas)
- Rhys (ardor)
- Lachlan (from the fjord-land)
Famous people with the name Jeremy:
- Jeremy Lee Renner (American actor)
- Jeremy Irons (English actor)
- Jeremy Northam (English actor)
- Jeremy Mayfield (American NASCAR driver)
- Jeremy Clarkson (English television presenter)
Jeremys in popular culture:
- Jeremy Finch (literature, “To Kill a Mockingbird” by Harper Lee)
- Jeremy Gilbert (television, “The Vampire Diaries”)
- Jeremy Johnson (television, “Phineas and Ferb”)
- Dr. Jeremy Reed (television, “The Mindy Project”)
- Jeremy Belpois (television, “Code Lyoko”)