Rhys is a strong Welsh name that's popular for baby boys in the United Kingdom, but it's becoming more and more beloved in the United States. The success of some European actors in Hollywood may have played a role in that, but either way, the name is climbing up the charts and will likely continue. Because it's one syllable, it works well as a middle name, but it also pairs with both traditional and trendy two and three-syllable middle names.
Meaning of the name Rhys:
Origin of the name Rhys:
Rhys is a traditional Welsh name that has been around since the Middle Ages and remains popular in the UK today.
Symbolism of the name Rhys:
While the baby name Rhys means “enthusiastic,” it's said to represent a dragon, which has been an important symbol to the Welsh people for centuries. It's even on their flag. The dragon stands for determination, passion and warrior strength.
Style of the name Rhys:
Modern in the United States (traditional in Wales)
Gender of the name Rhys:
Rhys is more commonly used for boys, while the “Reese” spelling is more common for girls
Pronunciation of the name Rhys:
Number of syllables in the name Rhys:
Emotion evoked from the name Rhys:
Rhys evokes images of strength and independence.
Alternative spellings for the name Rhys:
Nicknames for the name Rhys:
Popularity of the name Rhys:
Rhys first made the list of the top 1,000 baby names in the United States in 2004. Since then, it's become increasingly popular. According to the Social Security Administration, it ranked at number 422 in 2020.
Related names for the name Rhys:
Great middle names for Rhys and their meanings:
- Nathaniel (gift of God)
- Murphy (sea warrior)
- Thomas (twin)
- Garrett (strong spear)
- Sullivan (black-eyed one)
- Michael (who is like God)
- Nolan (champion)
- Declan (man of prayer)
- Theodore (gift from God)
Famous people with the name Rhys:
- Rhys Ifans (actor)
- Jonathan Rhys Meyers (actor)
- Matthew Rhys Evans (actor)
- Rhys Edward McIntyre (son of singer Joey McIntyre)
- Rhys Hoskins (baseball player)
Rhyses in popular culture:
- Rhys Sutherland (character from the TV show “Home and Away”)
- Rhys Williams (character in the book “In Office Hours”)
- Rhys (character on the TV show “Elementary”)
- Rhys Lindstrom (character in the book series “The Illuminae Files”)
- Rhys (character in the “Trylle” book series)