Remy is a popular baby name for both boys and girls. With its origins in late antiquity, Remy has a sleek sophistication that never goes out of style. Remy is the protagonist of the box-office hit Ratatouille, and Remy Etienne Lebeau is a Marvel Comics superhero. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning of the name Remy:
Latin: Oarsman, rower
Origin of the name Remy:
Remy is the French form of the Latin name Remigius. This name derives from the Latin word remigis (meaning “oarsman” or “rower.” Remy can also serve as a diminutive for longer names like Remington and Rheims.
Symbolism of the name Remy:
Remy is the French variation of the Latin name Remigius. In European history, Saint Remigius was an early Catholic bishop who baptized Clovis I, King of the Franks. This event prompted the conversion of the entire Frankish people to Christianity and altered the course of French history. The symbols of Saint Remy include the dove and the lamp.
Style of the name Remy:
Gender of the name Remy:
Remy is a great name for both boys and girls.
Pronunciation of the name Remy:
Number of syllables in the name Remy:
Emotion evoked from the name Remy:
The name Remy evokes feelings of prominence and pride.
Alternative spellings for the name Remy:
Nicknames for the name Remy:
Popularity of the name Remy:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Remy was the 356th most popular baby name for boys in 2020. Remy was the 497th most popular baby name for girls in 2020.
Related names for the name Remy:
Great middle names for Remy and their meanings:
- Augustus (great, magnificent)
- Bastien (revered)
- Etienne (garland, crown)
- Gaston (foreigner, guest, from Gascony)
- Julian (youthful, downy)
- Lucian (light)
- Miranda (admirable)
- Noah (rest, peace, comfort)
- Prescott (priest's cottage)
- Vincent (victorious)
Famous people with the name Remy:
- Remy Vincent Andrianjanaka (politician)
- Remy Nicolas Lucien Belvaux (actor)
- Remy Kenneth Bonjasky (kickboxer)
- Remy Christopher Gardner (motorcycle racer)
- Remy de Gourmont (writer)
- Rémy Di Gregorio (cyclist)
- Remy Martin Hamilton (football player)
- Remy Ryan Hernandez (actress)
- Remy Amador Presas (martial artist)
Remy in popular culture:
- Remy (protagonist of the film Ratatouille)
- Remy “Thirteen” Hadley (ensemble character on the television show House, M.D.)
- Remy Etienne Lebeau (Marvel Comics superhero)
- Rémy Legaludec (character in The Da Vinci Code)