The baby name Vincent has always been popular in families who are practicing Catholics or in Italian culture. This may be due to the fact that the name originated with the Roman name Vincentius and that the name was popular in the early church. Now, Vincent is slowly making a return as it currently ranks at number 121 for boys.
Meaning of the name Vincent:
Latin: victorious, conquering
Origin of the name Vincent:
Vincent originates from the classical Latin name, Vincentius, which both mean victorious or conquering. This original Latin name Vincentius comes from the Latin word “vincere” which gives these two meanings. Many saints in the early Christian church held the name Vincent, and it rose in popularity with the spread of Christianity in the eighteenth century.
Symbolism of the name Vincent:
THe baby name Vincent means victorious or conquering. Victorious is the English translation of the Latin word “vincere,” which the name Vincent comes from.
Style of the name Vincent:
Gender of the name Vincent:
The name Vincent has only been used by males.
Pronunciation of the name Vincent:
Number of syllables in the name Vincent:
Emotion evoked from the name Vincent:
The baby name Vincent feels formal and refined. It is serious and humble in its strength.
Alternative spellings for the name Vincent:
Nicknames for the name Vincent:
Popularity of the name Vincent:
The baby name Vincent was put on the top 100 list of the Social Security Index from 1910 to 1933. It went back on the list from 1955 to 1958, from 1960 to 1971, and from 1983 to 1992. The baby name is now on the top 200 list as it pulls in at number 121 for boys.
Related names for the name Vincent:
Great middle names for Vincent and their meanings:
- Xavier (bright, splendid)
- Samuel (God has heard)
- Gabriel (God is my strength)
- Hugo (mind)
- Remington (raven, settlement)
- Eli (high, elevated)
- Julius (youthful, downy)
- Milo (soldier)
Famous people with the name Vincent:
- Vincent van Gogh (post-impressionist painter)
- Vincent Wharton (lead singer of Motley Crew)
- Vincent Scully (professional sportscaster)
- Vincent Guadagnino (reality TV star, “Jersey Shore”)
- Vincent Carter (NBA player, sports analyst)
- Vincent Lombardi (NFL coach)
Vincents in popular culture:
- Vincent Chase (character in “Entourage”)
- Vincent (character from “Silent Hill 3” video game)
- Vincent (character from “Collateral”)
- Vincent Benedict (character from “Twins”)
- Vincent LaSalle (character from “Recess”)