Lucian hasn't been popular for years, but it's making a comeback. The baby name has been on the list of the top 1,000 names for boys in the United States since 2005, but it remains on the higher end of the list, meaning it's still unique enough that your son won't have three other Lucians in his kindergarten class. It pairs well with several middle names and has a pretty special meaning.
Meaning of the name Lucian:
Latin: Light or to shine
Origin of the name Lucian:
Lucian is derived from the Roman name Lucius, which comes from the Latin word “lux.” Lux means light or to shine.
Symbolism of the name Lucian:
Because of its meaning, Lucian may symbolize light or brightness.
Style of the name Lucian:
Gender of the name Lucian:
Lucian is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Lucian:
Number of syllables in the name Lucian:
Emotion evoked from the name Lucian:
The baby name Lucian evokes images of someone who is nurturing and caring.
Alternative spellings for the name Lucian:
Nicknames for the name Lucian:
Popularity of the name Lucian:
Lucian was a top name for baby boys in the United States from 1900 until 1951. According to the Social Security Administration, it made a comeback in 2005. As of 2020, it ranks at 639.
Related names for the name Lucian:
Great middle names for Lucian and their meanings:
- Max (greatest)
- Thomas (twin)
- Jack (God is gracious)
- William (absolute protection)
- Tate (cheerful)
- Brooks (of the brook)
- River (river)
- Charles (free man)
- George (farmer)
Famous people with the name Lucian:
- Lucian Blaga (poet and philosopher)
- Lucian Boz (literary critic)
- Lucian Bute (boxer)
- Lucian Freud (painter)
- Lucian Pintilie (director)
Lucians in popular culture:
- Lucian (character in the “Pokemon” universe)
- Lucian (character from “The 39 Clues” book series)
- lucian (character from “The Underwold” franchise)
- Lucian Connally (character from the TV show “Longmire”)
- Dark Swordsman Lucian (character from the “Lunar Knights” video game)