The baby name Jacob comes from the Old Testament and is the name of one of the most popular Biblical characters in the Christian and Jewish faith. The name literally receives its meaning of supplanter because of what happened with Jacob of the Old Testament. Though Jacob has been used as a name for thousands of years, it is still on the top 20 list due to its overuse.
Meaning of the name Jacob:
Hebrew: supplanter, holder of the heel
Origin of the name Jacob:
Jacob as a baby name comes from the Latin baby name Iacobus. This Latin name itself comes from the Greek name Iakob, which is from the Hebrew Ya'aqov. The first mention of Jacob is in the Bible in the Old Testament in the book of Genesis. Early Christians did have a difficult time separating the name from its Jewish roots, but it came to use in the Christian circle after the Protestant Reformation.
Symbolism of the name Jacob:
The name Jacob means supplanter or holder of the heel because the Bible shares that the first Jacob held his twin Esau's heel in the womb. He was always stealing from Esau prior to his name change, however, even stealing the birthright from him.
Style of the name Jacob:
Gender of the name Jacob:
The baby name Jacob has only been used by boys.
Pronunciation of the name Jacob:
Number of syllables in the name Jacob:
Emotion evoked from the name Jacob:
Jacob is a very refined and wholesome name. It feels trustworthy and warm.
Alternative spellings for the name Jacob:
Nicknames for the name Jacob:
Popularity of the name Jacob:
In the year 2020, the baby name Jacob ranked at number 15 on the Social Security Index. This is the third year in a row that it has been on the top 20 list, and in 2013 through 2017, it was on the top 10 list. From 1999 to 2013, however, the name Jacob was the number one name for baby boys. It has been a popular name, at least on the top 100 list, since 1974, however.
Related names for the name Jacob:
Great middle names for Jacob and their meanings:
- Luke (the bright one)
- Oliver (olive branch, olive tree planter)
- Noah (rest, comfort)
- Ian (God is gracious)
- Leo (lion)
- Silas (wood, forest)
Famous people with the name Jacob:
- Jacob Zuma (South African president)
- Jacob Gyllenhaal (actor, “Prince of Persia”)
- Jacob Peavy (MLB player, Giants)
- Jacob Pitts (actor, “Eurotrip”)
- Jacob Vargas (actor, “Next Friday”)
- Jacob Artist (actor, “Glee”)
- Jacob Tremblay (actor, “Wonder”)
Jacobs in popular culture:
- Jacob Black (character in “Twilight”)
- Jacob (character in “Lost”)
- Jacob Harper (character in “Two and a Half Men”)
- Jacob Marley (character from “A Christmas Carol”)
- Jacob Pentecost (character from “Pacific Rim”)
- Jacob Johnson (character in “Nightmare on Elm Street”)