Noel is a unisex given name of French origin. The name means “Christmas”. Noel is a classy, traditional name that has never really gone out of style. The variant spelling Noelle is more common for girls.
Meaning of the name Noel:
Origin of the name Noel:
Noel is a French given name that means “Christmas”. In the Medieval period, the name was given to children that were born on the holiday.
Symbolism of the name Noel:
Noel means “Christmas” and is symbolized by all of the common icons of the holiday: the guiding star, Christmas trees, snow, and angels.
Style of the name Noel:
Gender of the name Noel:
Noel is both a girl's and boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Noel:
Number of syllables in the name Noel:
Emotion evoked from the name Noel:
Noel evokes feelings of good will and celebration.
Alternative spellings for the name Noel:
Nicknames for the name Noel:
There are no common nicknames for the name Noel.
Popularity of the name Noel:
According to the Social Security Administration, Noel is a unisex baby name. As a boy’s name, Noel has been consistently popular since 1900 and peaked at #237 in 1938. As a girl’s name, Noel fluctuated in popularity between 1932 and 1998, peaking in popularity in 1987 at #587.
Related names for the name Noel:
Great middle names for the name Noel and their meanings:
- Hugo (mind, intellect)
- Rhys (ardor)
- Orion (legendary hunter from Greek mythology)
- Ellis (benevolent)
- Xavier (home)
Famous people with the name Noel:
- Noel Gallagher (lead singer of Oasis)
- Noel Anthony Clarke (English actor, director and screenwriter)
- Noel Coward (playwright and musician
- Noel Edmonds (TV presenter)
- Noel Fisher (Canadian actor)
Noel in popular culture:
- Noel Crane (television, “Felicity”)
- Noel Kahn (television, “Pretty Little Liars”)
- Noel Kreiss (video game, “Final Fantasy XIII-2”)
- Noel Shempsky (television, “Frasier”)
- Papai Noel (name for Santa Claus in some countries)