Genevieve is a fairly popular baby girl name, but where it really gets kicked into high gear is in books. Leading the story and being the main character seems to fit well with the name Genevieve. Whether it is a romance novel or an epic adventure, Genevieve seems to be the strong leading character that fuels the stories and gives power and strength to this name. Keep reading to find out more about this baby name.
Meaning of the name Genevieve:
Latin: Women of the race
French: Tribe woman
Origin of the name Genevieve:
Latin. Although Genevieve has its roots in Latin, it is the French that took the name and made it their own.
Symbolism of the name Genevieve:
Genevieve symbolizes strength, resiliency, and the power of females. With a meaning of “woman of the race” it portrays the virtues of all female kind.
Style of the name Genevieve:
Gender of the name Genevieve:
Genevieve is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Genevieve:
Syllables in the name Genevieve:
Emotion evoked from the name Genevieve:
The name Genevieve evokes a feeling of power and strength.
Alternative spellings for the name Genevieve:
Geneviève, Genoveve, Geneveve, Genaveve
Nicknames for the name Genevieve:
Ginny, Genny, Jenny, Gen, Jen, Viv
Popularity of the name Genevieve:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Geneviève was the 169th most popular girl name in 2020. This is down one spot from its highest ranking of 168th in 2019.
Related names for the name Genevieve:
Geneva, Geneviève, Genoveva, Ginny, Genny
Great middle names for Genevieve and their meanings:
- Anne (grace)
- Jacqueline (supplanter)
- Larissa (cheerful, lighthearted)
- Portiasymbol of a beautiful, wealthy, and brilliant woman, in allusion to the
- heroine of Shakespeare’s “Merchant of Venice”)
- Quinn (descendent of Conn)
- Taylor (tailor)
- Victoria (victory)
Famous people with the name Genevieve:
- Genevieve Schatz (singer)
- Genevieve Padalecki (actor)
- Genevieve Hannelius (actor)
- Genevieve Angelson (actor)
- Geneviève Hafner (photographer)
Genevieve in movies/pop culture:
- Genevieve Atkinson (character in “The Young and the Restless”)
- Genevieve Mirren-Carter (character on “Brooklyn Nine-Nine”)
- Princess Genevieve (character in “Barbie in the 12 Dancing Princesses”)