Gene is a straightforward name that is used as a gender-neutral option. Also, the name Gene initially began as a nickname. Read on to discover more information about the name.
Meaning of the name Gene:
Greek for “wellborn, noble”.
Origin of the name Gene:
Gene is a shortened version of “Eugene” and “Eugenia”, both of which stem from the Latin name “Eugenius”. In turn, that is a Latinized version of a Greek name “Eugenios”. This gives the name Gene Latin and Greek roots.
Symbolism of the name Gene:
Gene is a name that can symbolize someone of high standing. At the same time, the baby name Gene has a fun flair to it. This can allow Gene to also relate to someone who is a focal point in a family, one who is filled with hope.
Style of the name Gene:
Gender of the name Gene:
Gene is typically used as a gender-neutral baby name.
Pronunciation of the name Gene:
Number of syllables in the name Gene:
Emotion evoked from the name Gene:
Although the name Gene can bring up feelings of respect, the simplicity of the name also evokes a more laidback and relaxing vibe.
Alternative spellings for the name Gene:
Nicknames for the name Gene:
Popularity of the name Gene:
With information from the Social Security Index, Gene saw most of its popularity through the 1900s. In 1937, Gene reached as high as #61.
Related names for the name Gene:
Great middle names for Gene and their meanings:
- Sasha (defending men)
- Chloe (young green shoot)
- Jocelyn (member of the Gauts tribe)
- Iris (rainbow)
- Lyra (lyre)
- Nicola (people of victory)
- Lotus (lotus flower)
- Blaire (dweller on the plain)
- Theodore (gift of God)
- Vincent (conquering)
- Tobias (God is good)
- Nico (people of victory)
- Luke (man from Lucania)
- Andrew (strong and manly)
- Spencer (house steward, dispenser of provisions)
- Lex (defending men)
Famous people with the name Gene:
- Gene(stage name of Israeli-American Chaim Witz, co-lead singer of Kiss)
- Gene Bradley (American football player)
- Gene Pitney (American singer-songwriter)
- Gene Wolfe (American science fiction author)
- Gene Robillard (Canadian football player)
- Gene Tierney (American film and stage actress)
- Gene Noble (American singer-songwriter)
Genes in movies/pop culture:
- Gene (a main character in “The Emoji Movie”)
- Gene Belcher (a character in the animated TV show “Bob’s Burgers”)
- Genecharacter in the video game “Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops”)
- Gene (a character in the video game “God Hand”)
- Gene(the character in the British TV shows “Ashes to Ashes” and “Life on Mars”)
- Gene Friesen (a character in the TV show “Eastwick”)