The baby name Sasha is of Russian origin, but it is now an international name. What is primarily a boy's name in Europe is a girl's name in America, but either gender can use it. The name has been as high as the top 200 list, but has since fallen out of the top 500.
Meaning and Origin of the Name Sasha:
The baby name Sasha began as a nickname for the Greek names Alexander and Alexandras. It was primarily used for babies with these names who were born in Russia or eastern Europe until it became a standalone name on its own. Sasha came to America, along with its many spelling options, in the late 1970s. The name means “man's defender” or “defending men”, tying it to its origins as a nickname for Alexander.
Nicknames for the Name Sasha:
There are so many nicknames for Sasha! A lot of them are derived from the name itself, like a standard nickname. Some of them are connected to Sasha's origin as a nickname for Alexander. Take a look at these options and see which ones you like!
Symbolism of the Name Sasha:
Sasha's meanings can be represented in a variety of ways. Symbols can include a sword and shield, crossed rifles, or anything else that is connected to a military or war.
Style of the Name Sasha:
Gender of the Name Sasha:
Both boys and girls use the baby name Sasha.
Pronunciation of the Name Sasha:
Number of Syllables in the Name Sasha:
Emotion Evoked From the Name Sasha:
Sasha is a fun and joyous baby name. It is full of energy and can be considered outgoing or extroverted too.
Alternative Spellings for the Name Sasha:
Popularity of the Name Sasha:
The baby name Sasha has been a top 1,000 name in America since 1972 when it was rank 866. From 1987 to 1990, the name was a top 200 name, even reaching rank 147 in 1988. As of the year 2022, Sasha ranks at number 640.
Related Names for the Name Sasha:
Great Middle Names for Sasha and Their Meanings:
- Lark (merry person, early riser)
- Coraline (heart, maiden)
- Evangeline (gospel, good news)
- Margot (pearl)
- Antonia (praiseworthy, beautiful)
- Antonio (priceless one)
- Miles (soldier, servant)
- Frederick (peaceful ruler)
Famous People with the Name Sasha:
- Sasha Farber (professional dancer)
- Sasha Pieterse (actress, “Pretty Little Liars”)
- Sasha Velour (stage name of drag performer Alexander Steinberg)
- Sasha Grey (actress, “Open Windows”)
- Sasha Luss (actress, “Anna”)
- Sasha Clements (actress, “Witches in the Woods”)
- Sasha Alsberg (author, “Nexus”)
- Sasha Dobson (singer, “Without You”)
- Sasha Reynolds (actress
Sashas in Popular Culture:
- Sasha Fierce (Beyonce's alter ego)
- Sasha Bezmel (character from “Home and Away”)
- Sasha (character from “The Walking Dead”)
- Sasha Bordeaux (character from DC comics)
- Sasha Silver (main character in “Canterwood Crest”)
The image featured at the top of this post is ©dushkovladimir/Shutterstock.com.