The baby name Sasha is of Russian origin, but it is now an international name. What is primarily a boy's name in Europe is a girl's name in America, but either gender can use it. The name has been as high as the top 200 list, but it is now close to a top 600 baby name.
Meaning of the name Sasha:
Russian: man's defender, defending men
Origin of the name Sasha:
The baby name Sasha began as a nickname for the Greek names Alexander and Alexandras. It was primarily used for babies with these names who were born in Russia or eastern Europe until it became a standalone name on its own. Sasha came to America, along with its many spelling options, in the late 1970s.
Symbolism of the name Sasha:
Sasha means “man's defender” or “defending men.” It has these meanings as it retains the original meanings of the names Alexander or Alexandras.
Style of the name Sasha:
Gender of the name Sasha:
Both boys and girls use the baby name Sasha.
Pronunciation of the name Sasha:
Number of syllables in the name Sasha:
Emotion evoked from the name Sasha:
Sasha is a fun and joyous baby name. It is full of energy and can be considered outgoing or extroverted too.
Alternative spellings for the name Sasha:
Nicknames for the name Sasha:
Popularity of the name Sasha:
The baby name Sasha has been a top 1,000 name in America since 1972 when it was rank 866. From 1987 to 1990, the name was a top 200 name, even reaching rank 147 in 1988. As of the year 2020, Sasha ranks at number 605.
Related names for the name Sasha:
Great middle names for Sasha and their meanings:
- Lark (merry person, early riser)
- Coraline (heart, maiden)
- Evangeline (gospel, good news)
- Margot (pearl)
- Antonia (praiseworthy, beautiful)
- Antonio (priceless one)
- Miles (soldier, servant)
- Frederick (peaceful ruler)
Famous people with the name Sasha:
- Sasha Farber (professional dancer)
- Sasha Pieterse (actress, “Pretty Little Liars”)
- Sasha Velour (stage name of drag performer Alexander Steinberg)
- Sasha Grey (actress, “Open Windows”)
- Sasha Luss (actress, “Anna”)
- Sasha Clements (actress, “Witches in the Woods”)
- Sasha Alsberg (author, “Nexus”)
- Sasha Dobson (singer, “Without You”)
- Sasha Reynolds (actress
Sashas in popular culture:
- Sasha Fierce (Beyonce's alter ego)
- Sasha Bezmel (character from “Home and Away”)
- Sasha (character from “The Walking Dead”)
- Sasha Bordeaux (character from DC comics)
- Sasha Silver (main character in “Canterwood Crest”)