Evangeline is a classy and melodious given name. First created at the dawn of the Common Era (CE), this name has plenty of appeal for modern times. Evangeline “Evie” Greene is an important character in The Arcana Chronicles, and Evangeline Williamson is a character on the soap opera One Life to Live. Keep reading to learn more about this name.
Meaning of the name Evangeline:
Greek: Good news
Origin of the name Evangeline:
Evangeline derives from the Greek words εὖ (meaning “good”) and angelma (meaning “news” or “message”). The phrase became the Latin expression evangelium and went on to become the name Evangeline. It is closely related to the name Evangelista (“bringer of good news”).
Symbolism of the name Evangeline:
Evangeline originates from Greek words that mean “good news.” In early Christianity, the Good News referred to the four canonical gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John). Also known as the four evangelists, these four gospels in the New Testament correlate with the four living creatures of the Old Testament. The four symbols of good news are the angel, the lion, the ox, and the eagle.
Style of the name Evangeline:
Gender of the name Evangeline:
Evangeline is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Evangeline:
Number of syllables in the name Evangeline:
Emotion evoked from the name Evangeline:
The name Evangeline evokes feelings of grace and tranquility.
Alternative spellings for the name Evangeline:
Nicknames for the name Evangeline:
Popularity of the name Evangeline:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Evangeline was the 263rd most popular baby name for girls in 2020. Evangeline has ranked among the top 300 names for girls since 2011.
Related names for the name Evangeline:
Great middle names for Evangeline and their meanings:
- Adelaide (noble)
- Clara (clear, bright, famous)
- Daisy (flower, day eye)
- Freya (lady)
- Mavis (songbird)
- Martha (lady)
- Melissa (bee)
- Philomena (powerful love)
- Piper (flute player)
- Zoe (life)
Famous people with the name Evangeline:
- Evangeline Booth (theologian)
- Evangeline Rose Broussard (daughter of songwriter Marc Broussard)
- Evangeline Elizondo (actress)
- Evangeline Wilna Ensley (writer)
- Evangeline Faith Gardner (public figure)
- Evangeline Lilly (actress)
Evangeline in popular culture:
- Evangeline Bellefontaine (titular character of the epic by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow)
- Evangeline “Evie” Greene (character in The Arcana Chronicles series)
- Evangeline O'Neill (main character in The Diviners)
- Evangeline “Eva” St. Claire (heroine of Uncle Tom's Cabin)