Zoe is a baby name of Greek origin meaning “life”. The name became popular in 2000 and has remained in the top 100 baby girl names through 2020.
Meaning of the name Zoe:
Origin of the name Zoe:
Zoe is a name of Greek origin meaning “life”. Zoe as a name came from translating the Hebrew name Eve, which also means “life”, into Greek.
Symbolism of the name Zoe:
Zoe means “life” and is associated with the peony flower which symbolizes life, good health, prosperity, and wealth.
Style of the name Zoe:
Gender of the name Zoe:
Zoe is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Zoe:
ZO-ee (English), DZO-eh (Italian)
Number of syllables in the name Zoe:
Emotion evoked from the name Zoe:
Zoe evokes feelings of eternal youth and cheer.
Alternative spellings for the name Zoe:
Zoey, Zoie, Zooey
Nicknames for the name Zoe:
Popularity of the name Zoe:
According to the Social Security Administration, Zoe is a truly 21st century name. The name has been in the top 100 baby girl names since 2000.
Related names for the name Zoe:
Great middle names for the name Zoe and their meanings:
- Jane (God is gracious)
- Elaine (shining light)
- Cassia (cinnamon)
- Aine (brilliance, wit)
- Alys (noble)
- Breanna (strong, virtuous, honorable)
- Nicole (people of victory)
- Cassandra (shining or excelling man)
- Azalea (azalea flower)
- Aster (star)
- Artemis (goddess of the moon)
Famous people with the name Zoe:
- Zoe Porphyrogenita (Byzantine empress)
- Zoe Swicord Kazan (American actress)
- Zoe Wanamaker (British-American actress)
- Zoe Yin (American painter and novelist)
- Zoë Byrd Akins (American playwright, poet, and author)
- Zoe Levin (American actress)
Zoes in popular culture:
- Zoe Washburne (television, “Firefly”)
- Zoe Heriot (television, “Doctor Who”)
- Zoe Graystone (television, “Caprica”
- Zoe Benson (television, “American Horror Story Coven”)
- Zoe Richardson (television, “General Hospital”