Elaine is a Scottish and French girl’s name that means “bright, shining light”, “torch”, or “moon”. Elaine is a version of the names Helene and Helen and ultimately comes from the Greek terms “helene” or “selene”. Elaine has been regaining popularity since 2011 alongside names like Helene and Ellen.
Meaning of the Name Elaine
Elaine is the Scottish and French version of the Greek name Helen. The name either derives from the Greek term “helene” which means “bright, shining light, torch” or “selene” which means “moon”. Whether a bright torch or the moon, Elaine is a name that is a guiding light in the dark.
Nicknames for Elaine
Elaine evokes feelings of peace and compassion. For such a considerate individual, it's important to find a nickname that best suits their personality. If you've been searching for the perfect nickname for the Elaine in your life, we've compiled this list to help get you inspired:
Elaine Name Details
Gender: Elaine is traditionally considered to be a girl's name.
Alternative Spelling for Elaine
Elaine Name Popularity
According to the Social Security Administration, Elaine is a popular baby girl’s name that has been in the top 1000 names since 1900. Elaine was in the top 100 names from 1923 to 1957. Popularity is on the rise again since 2011.
Related Names for Elaine
Great Middle Names for Elaine and Their Meanings
- Diana (divine)
- Lucina (grove, light)
- Coralie (coral)
- Aurelia (golden one)
- Genevieve (tribe woman)
- Clementine (merciful)
- Poppy (red flower)
Famous People Named Elaine
- Elaine Hendrix (American actress)
- Elaine Yiu (Hong Kong actress)
- Elaine Ingham (American microbiologist)
- Elaine O'Neal (American painter)
- Elaine Konigsburg (American novelist)
Elaine in Popular Culture
- Elaine Marie Benes (television, “Seinfeld”‘)
- Elaine of Astolat (Arthurian legend)
- Elaine Jenkinson (television, “Broadchurch”)
- Elaine Marley (video game, “Monkey Island”)
- Elaine Dickinson (film, “Airplane!”)